CC5 Language problems

PeteW1959

Sorry for yet another question, but the help files for CC5 are somewhat sketchy.

I want to change the keywords for a couple of order statuses. I have been into the Language section of the Admin panel and under the Order State group have changed name_1 from "Pending" to "Awaiting Payment" and name_2 from "Processing" to "Awaiting Dispatch" and saved the changes.

I went into maintenace and cleared all the caches but the order status description on the orders overview page remained unchanged.

I went back into the Language page and the edits are still there, so I tried merging, but still no difference.

As a final check I downloaded the .xml and in there the values haven't changed, so now I am confused. The new values are showing in the languages section of admin, but don't seem to be saved to  the database.

Screenshot of Languages in Admin:-

Order state group from definitions.xml, after doing a merge:-

<group name="order_state">
    <string name="desc_1" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Order has been created and staff members are awaiting payment before any further action will be taken. This order may be automatically cancelled if payment has not been made by a specific time scale.]]></string>
    <string name="desc_2" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Payment may or may have not cleared or the order hasn't been dealt with yet.]]></string>
    <string name="desc_3" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Order has been paid for and dispatched. Goods should arrive shortly. Tracking information may be available.]]></string>
    <string name="desc_4" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Order has been declined. More information may be available in the order notes.]]></string>
    <string name="desc_5" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Payment for the order has failed external/internal fraud review.]]></string>
    <string name="desc_6" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Order has been cancelled. Reasons for order cancellation should show in your order notes. Please note that new orders which have not been paid for within a certain time scale may automatically be cancelled.]]></string>
    <string name="name_1" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Pending]]></string>
    <string name="name_2" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Processing]]></string>
    <string name="name_3" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Order Complete]]></string>
    <string name="name_4" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Declined]]></string>
    <string name="name_5" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Failed Fraud Review]]></string>
    <string name="name_6" introduced="5.0.0"><![CDATA[Cancelled]]></string>
  </group>

"As a final check I downloaded the .xml and in there the values haven't changed, so now I am confused."

We request that you do not edit the language files -- although, in some cases, it is necessary.

The new values are showing in the languages section of admin, but don't seem to be saved to the database.

Phrases that will be used in place of those in the language files are held in the CubeCart_lang_strings table. There were problems known to exist with the language sets and editing them, but I do not recall when they were fixed.

When you look in this table (using phpMyAdmin, for example), let us know what language code is in the record(s).

You haven't reminded us of what specific version of CC5 you are running.

(A language merge is not what you think it is.)

I haven't edited the language file; I just downloaded it to have a look at the values.

All language codes in the table are en-GB, and in there are the edited values for the order statuses.

I am running CC 5.2.4 (this is a recent upgrade from CC4)

The help file states that a language merge took the edited values from the database and put them into the definitions.xml file, replacing the default values.

"All language codes in the table are en-GB, and in there are the edited values for the order statuses."

Good. Please confirm that Cubecart is running in en-GB. (Store Settings, General tab, Default Language) Also confirm what language your admin profile is set to. (Administrators, edit you, Default Language)

"The help file states that a language merge took the edited values from the database and put them into the definitions.xml file, replacing the default values."

The last time I looked at the code that merged files, changing definitions.xml is not the result of that operation. But this is not the problem we are working on.

Now I would ask you to log out of admin. (I think you will not need to clear your browser's cache.)

Log back in. Does the Orders list use the new status phrases now?

And (using phpMyAdmin, for example), does the entire set of 'order_state' phrases now appear in the CC_lang_strings database table?

I am not so sure the fault is with clearing the cache - thus perhaps wanting to also reset the language identifier set in the 'client', 'admin_data' and 'admin' $SESSION contents.

Perhaps, after saving any changes to your admin profile (specifically, the language that you, as the currently logged in admin, want to use), Cubecart could reload whatever got changed (specifically, the 'user_language' identifier, then reload from the secondary language files and CC_lang_strings table).