Category sort order

markThomas

I have look all over the forums and on the .org site for an answer. I have only found a commercial solution that address v5. Currently, the product categories on the home page are sorting by cat_ID, which is a function of when they were added to the database. 

I would like them to sort by alpha, by cat_name. 

There are other posts, but the solutions I find do not match the files for v5. 

This would appear to be a basic function within the CCart layout and so I surprised that there isn't an easy answer. So if you know of something that I have not found, please let me know. 

Thanks...

M

CubeCart 5 allows for an arbitrary sort. When viewing the list of categories in admin, the Arrange column provides an icon that is used to grab and drag/drop in the order you want them to appear.

Of the functions I looked at in CC527, buildcategoriesDropDown() and getCategoryTree(), does fetch the categories, first sorted by 'priority', then on a priority tie, the cat_name in alpha order.

The quickest solution is to adjust the query. In the CC527 file /admin/sources/categories.index.inc.php, near line 352, replace 'priority' with 'cat_name' and 'ASC' to 'DESC'.

Making any changes in the sort order using the drag-n-drop feature of the list will be undone the next time you bring up this list.

hmmm, did not appear to make a difference. My line was 10 or so above yours. 

(You are using cc527, I am 5.2.5. When I update, will all the code changes we have made over the last few months be gone? i.e. cat_name on the downloads, Not Applicable on the inventory...!)