How to read Firebug ?

Nik Grey

This is driving me crazy.. All I want to do is change 'Search out store' to 'Search Greyprint' but I cannot work out which file to edit !

Firebug, must tell me but I just cannot see it:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html id="index-page" class="no-js js no-mobile desktop no-ie ff ff27 root-section gradient rgba opacity textshadow multiplebgs boxshadow borderimage borderradius no-cssreflections csstransforms csstransitions no-touch no-retina fontface domloaded w-1920 gt-240 gt-320 gt-480 gt-640 gt-768 gt-800 gt-1024 gt-1280 gt-1440 gt-1680 no-portrait landscape" lang="en-GB" dir="ltr">
<head>
<body id="section-home">
<div class="container-fluid">
<div id="page">
<header id="page-header">
<div id="page-layout">
<div class="flexslider-container">
<div id="homepage-document">
<header class="content-header">
<div class="row-fluid">
<div class="span8">
<div class="span4">
<div class="search">
<form class="input-append" method="post" action="/index.php?_a=category">
<input class="input-fill" type="search" placeholder="Search teresa" name="search[keywords]" style="width: 249px;">

There is no sign of any 'Index' page within my Vector skin !

When requesting a page, Firebug will tell you what page was requested and what the POSTed data and querystring is. Then Firebug is done for the moment.

The next step you are concerned with is what it is that CubeCart does to figure out what you want and what to do with the data supplied.

CubeCart figures out who you are, what language you speak, what currency you use, and a mess of other stuff. Finally, CubeCart sends the completed page back to your browser, your browser displays it, and Firebug is able to look at what was delivered: HTML, CSS, javascript, and images.

At no time is Firebug able to discern what CubeCart is doing to generate that page.

So, we must then look into the innards of CubeCart. CubeCart is able to choose from among seven languages (as of CC525). There must be a way to make customizations to the language packs. And there is!

In admin, Languages, click on the edit icon of the language you want to change. Select from the drop-down the group within which the phrase you need can be found.

Look at the respective skin template for the page or area you are targeting - box.search.php. Find the Smarty variable that will eventually show the phrase - $LANG.search.input_default.

Choose the 'search' group. In the list that is displayed, change the words for 'input_default' to what you need.

Firebug has no way to know what the templates looked like prior to Smarty and CubeCart rendering the template and populating it with the phrases from the language pack.

I said to the Missus before I posted the above that I felt a bit silly asking such a question, it turns out that I was right to ask :)

I made the change I needed to make following your instructions Brian, was even able to do it on my iPad (as I am out on a trip back to home).

Really pleased to see that making changes like this are simple, no more messing with files hidden somewhere obscure.

I'm most impressed with this feature of CC.