Vector - Only 3x Latest Products Appearing !

I know I have posted a few times about the Vector skin, and 5.2.8 but as far as I am aware the problems I have been having are with a tool I had created (as it turns out, by people who didn't really understand cubecart as such)

As I can't get my head around the code I keep asking for help with things that might seem trivial to many, there's not a lot I cant do for myself but coding continues to be a pain for me.

I don't understand why even though I have I the settings set for 4x 'Latest Products' to be displayed on my index page only 3x actually appear and it's messing up the overall appearance of my page ! I have had a few people comment on this issue so would like to get it sorted if possible.

I notice Firebug telling me:

<div id="product-53" class="span3 product">

latest-products-problem.jpg

When I inspect One of these products borders - I'm assuming (you know what they say about the 'Assumption?) that the 'span3' denotes it's width, so - my logic suggests that changing this will make these narrower and allow another product to be shown - lining my Ducks up nicely !

I tried making the overall width of the page another 50px wider but that didn't help - can we either make the padding between these boxes smaller or make the boxes themselves narrower (I would prefer to narrow the boxes if I had a choice) !

I think the span numbers indicate X/13, where the result is the width of each item. X comes from 12/count. Thus, if you want four items, 12/4 = 3, and 3/13 will give you approx 23.4% of the width -- which is the CSS property of span3. (The reason why it is not exactly 25% is to add count-1 left-margins of approx 1.23%.)

So far, you have 3x23.4 + 2x1.23 = 72.66% leaving 27.34% which is enough for one more item (with left margin).

So I ask this: Have you set to "Yes" four items in the inventory to be Included in Latest Products?

Yes, I just enabled another one to be sure and that showed up in place of a previous product.

If you look at one of my category pages you can see that there are 4x products per row on an even narrower part of the page - this is what's confusing me.

I have my Fusion settings set like this, which I think is correct:

latest-products-settings.jpg

In admin, Store Settings, Layout tab, find:

Show 'Latest Products' on homepage? Yes/No

Number of 'Latest Products' to display: ##

What number is set for ##?

If four or more, then we need to look at the skin.

In the Vector template file content.homepage.php, at the end, add {debug}. (Hopefully, Vector will let us do this.)

When you next call the Homepage, there should be a popup listing all the variables assigned to Smarty. Look for $LATEST_PRODUCTS.

That's done it Brian - The number WAS set to 3.

It's confusing having two sets of settings - I'm sure I wont be the only one caught out by this so it's a good thing I posted even though it turned out to be something so simple.

Thanks as ever Brian */*  I wish everything was that easy :)