Random Latest Products on homepage

geoffb

Hi,

I'm looking at showing 8 Latest Products (known as Featured Products on my site) on the homepage but I want to have many more checked in admin as a featured product, then allow the database to pick these out and display random, so for instance if the user was to refresh the page another random set would appear (I do understand that the new set may also still on occasions pick the same ones, depending on the amount of products set to be featured!)

There is a forum article back from 2006: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>> which I think now the templates have changed is outdated.

Thanks

Geoff

There is this, which I have incorporated into one of my test installations:

http://www.cubecartforums.org/index.php?showtopic=17088

The conversation you linked to is still valid. It is just a change in how the products are queried from the database. The skin, regardless of vintage, will still use it.

However, as has since been discovered, the format of using the RAND() function in this manner will seriously bog down the database server if there are more than about 200 products in the inventory table. There is a better query format of getting a randomized group from the database server.