upgrading from php 5.4.33 issue

dukes

Hello,
I am having difficulties making my website PCI complaint.

I am receiving a message that I need to upgrade to PHP 5.4.34 or later.  Currently I am running 5.4.33

I see where I can upgrade to PHP 5.5 in my hosting account but whenI do this my website does not show up.

What changes must I make in cubecart in order for the upgrade to PHP 5.5 to function properly?

I am using cubecart V5.2.8
Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.10-dev

Thank you,
Ken

PS - Not sure how to move this post to the installation and upgrade section.

According to the ionCube Compatibility page, for PHP 5.5, you will need to make sure your site is running ionCube Loader 4.6 or later.

In admin, click PHP Info. At the bottom of the top section, you will be shown the ionCube loader version your PHP is using.

You can try to convince your hosting provider to make sure your site is running the latest version of the ionCube loader.

I'm not too familiar with running a hosting business, but it seems to me that if one is able to switch which version of PHP is running, maybe that switch includes the version of ionCube that is installed with that version.

It would be interesting to know why, exactly, your CC528 won't run on PHP 5.5. Maybe a plugin?

There are 12 plugins active in the dashboard.  I believe they are all part of the modsindex skin.  In the past I was not able to get them to help with issues after purchasing their skin.

In public_html there is a folder titled ioncube but I cannot tell which version it is.  When I look in the folder there are files named index.htm and index.php but the only contents in either file is 'Access Denied'.

CubeCart courteously provided a folder for an ioncube installation but is no longer included as of CC526. It's probably a remnant of a prior version of CubeCart.

So, it's interesting: loader 4.6.1 means that the encoder must have been version 8. If that's the case, PHP 5.5 should not be the issue.

You are asking three questions:

1. When the change happens, how long before the effects are seen?

2. How long does it take for someone to perform all the steps necessary to make the change?

3. How long does it take for someone once notified of a change request to actually begin making the change?

1. Immediately.

2a. Under cPanel control (or some other automated process), a few seconds to a few minutes (the web server (Apache? not CGI) - may need to reload the PHP.INI file).

2b. Manually download, unzip, FTP onto, copy/edit the existing PHP.INI file, stop/start the server, ten to sixty minutes.

3. If not automated, then with the cheapest hosting you can find, 24-72 hours.

If changing a site to run under a different version of PHP requires that your site be moved to a different server with a different IP address, then there will be a need to notify the Internet's DNS system that your domain has a new IP Address - and that process is always said to expect 24-72 hours, although in my experience, it hasn't taken more than a couple of hours for the DNS system to distribute the new IP Address.

I suggest this course of action:

1. Disable all your plugins.

2. In cPanel, switch your site to use PHP 5.5.

3. Test your site.

If CubeCart works, then we know one or more of the plugins will cause problems.

On the other hand, if a PCI compliance issue is that your site is not running the latest version of a PHP version family (need PHP 5.4.34, have PHP 5.4.33), then maybe a stern request to be sent to your hosting provider. Until, of course, PHP 5.4.35 comes out in a couple of months.

I'm saying that if compliance means you must always be using the latest of a version family, then it really doesn't matter if you run PHP 5.4 or PHP 5.5 because the issue will always be running the latest version in that family.

I have disabled all of the plugins in my dashboard and changed php 5.4 to php 5.5

When I load either the backend or the website there is just a blank screen which is the same issue I have experienced with the plugins enabled.

I assume that contacting the hosting company again would be the next step.

Thank you

Now that you are on PHP 5.5, ask for the page:

www.mystore.com/setup/info.php

You may have renamed the setup folder. If you deleted the folder, then make this file and FTP it to your site:

<?php // filename is info.php
phpinfo();
?>

Verify that there exists an ionCube loader mentioned at the bottom of the top section.

I have created the info..php file and uploaded it to the public_html folder on my site. 

I do see a setup folder.  I get 404 error at http://mystore.com/setup/info.php

When I go to http://mystore.com/info.php, ionCube is not listed on the page.

In cpanel I go to Select PHP version and under version 5.4 the ioncube box is checked.  Under php 5.5 the ioncube box is not checked.

There is an ionCube folder in the public_html folder on cpanel. 

I'm in the process of requesting php 5.4.34 through my host.

Thank you

I spoke to my hosting company they do not offer php 5.4.34 and have informed me that none of their hosting plans are PCI complaint.

I will contact my merchant services company if the current PCI compliance scan fails again.

As always, thank you for your help.

Below is a portion of the error

plugins/home_random_products/hooks/class.cubecart.display_homepage.php was encoded by the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5 and cannot run under PHP 5.5.
 Please ask the provider of the script to provide a version encoded with the ionCube Encoder for either PHP 5.3 or PHP 5.4 or PHP 5.5. in Unknown on line 0