USPS module charges no shipping is zip code is typoed

dslusarc

I have had this happen several times. Some with USA customers and some with foreign customers. What happens is I get an order and the order has no shipping charges added to the order. I have found that the issue can happen if a zip code is entered that the USPS module does not seem to understand. So instead of getting an error back to the customer to fix the zip code or unknown zip code, the module returns $0 shipping and no shipping options are dispayed for them to choose from so they think it is free shipping then check out. I have had this happen about 5-6 times now and the last one today was from an order in South Korea.

Town: Seoul

State: Seoul

Zip code: 135-838

Not sure why USPS rejected this but if I use this info in a dummy account the USPS module returns $0 shipping and no shipping options to select from instead of normally first class Internaional or Express Mail International.

For a USA address, if a customer enters a text zip code such as "Ohio" instead of 44094 the USPS module returns $0 shipping charges and no shiping options to select from. So if a person typos the zipcode such as:

State: Ohio

Zip Code: Ohio

Then no postage is charged and no shipping options appear, normally first class or Priority mail on my site so they think free shipping.  I had one customer figure the loophole out in the USA and would lintentionally not fill their zip code in with a number but repeat his state to get "free" shipping.

I am running CC 5.2.16  using the stock included USPS module.

I need some way to fix this issue. Can anyone else recreate the same issue? There should be a safeguard I would think.

Thanks!

Don

I will work on trying to recreate this, but in the meantime, would you please look in admin, Error Log, System Error Log tab for a line item that starts with USPS Error:. Then, in admin, Request Log, find the request that has this result.

Please verify that the <ZipDestination> XML node is not a valid 5-digit post code for a domestic shipment.

The USPS module uses the country name for international shipments. Please find that request/response in the Request Log.

I will work on trying to recreate this, but in the meantime, would you please look in admin, Error Log, System Error Log tab for a line item that starts with USPS Error:. Then, in admin, Request Log, find the request that has this result.

Please verify that the <ZipDestination> XML node is not a valid 5-digit post code for a domestic shipment.

The USPS module uses the country name for international shipments. Please find that request/response in the Request Log.

In the "System Error Log" there are no USPS errors, my last error entry in this log is back from Feb 2, 2015 and that is from catalog.class.php

However, in the "Request Log" here is the response to my use of "OHIO" as the zip code on the test I did today

:

Request Sent - http://production.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPI.dll API=RateV4&XML=<RateV4Request USERID="IBLOCKEDTHISOUT"> <Package ID="0"> <Service>ALL</Service> <ZipOrigination>44094</ZipOrigination> <ZipDestination>OHIO</ZipDestination> <Pounds>0</Pounds> <Ounces>4</Ounces> <Container>VARIABLE</Container> <Size>REGULAR</Size> <Machinable>False</Machinable> <ReturnLocations>TRUE</ReturnLocations> </Package> </RateV4Request>
Response received <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <RateV4Response><Package ID="0"><Error><Number>-2147219497</Number><Source>RateEngineV4;RateV4.ProcessRequest</Source><Description>Please enter a valid ZIP Code for the recipient. </Description><HelpFile/><HelpContext/></Error></Package></RateV4Response>

Also, in admin, Store Settings, Features tab, is "Allow physical orders even if no shipping options are available" enabled?

I have "allow no shipping" option and that is enabled. I enabled that in the past as some people were local and they could come pick up the items from me.

I disabled that option and now with "OHIO" as the zip code it at leasts give the following message if I try to checkout:

"The following errors were detected:

• Unfortunately there are no suitable shipping methods available for your order. This may be because the total weight of your order is too high or we cannot ship to your country. Please contact a member of our staff for any further inquiries.

At least now it seems that will stop it from happening again. Thanks for suggesting looking into that. I was not associating the "allow no shipping" option with zip code typos at all. I was thinking of it as for allowing local pickup or items or downloadable items that are not shipped.  

Don

I think I see where the error that I thought should be in the System Error Log listing might not be, but it should be in PHP's error_log if PHP has such a log enabled in the php.ini file.

CubeCart may or may not be able to filter/validate a postal code. CubeCart would need to know the pattern of postal codes for every country that has one. So, probably skip that.

Unless you have more thoughts about this and wish to continue the discussion, I will conclude with that your (legal?) recourse for some or all these orders is to:

* absorb the charges, or

* demand shipping charges.

Certainly, I would add a paragraph or two in your Refund Policy document that if any aspect of the order is found to have a fault, you have the right to cancel and refund with an invitation to order again when the fault has been cleared/rectified.

Making that change should work OK for now. I guess I just do not understand why the same message cannot still pop up with that option enabled. It woud make sense to me that when enabled an additional line item would then appear in the shipping options like "do not ship" so they still have to provide a valid zip code for the order then just select "do not ship" as the option instead of say "Priority Mail" for the order. In anycase, once again thanks for pointing me in the right direction! It will work good enough for now. So far the several orders like this the customers have been OK when I tell them, they pay the additional shipping, but on a couple the postage was low enought I let is go by but fixed their zip code in their account so it would not happen again.