The Best Way to Speed Thinsg Up

onebrowncow

I notice on a speedtest on GTMetrix that our CC6 site is much slower than our CC4 store. We have GZIP enabled on our CC4 store and leverage browser cache plus most of the css, javascript and html is minified. I was just wondering what the best approach with CC6 might be?

I've also noted in the report that serving scaled images and image dimensions is a big fail, I'm guessing this is down to Foundation and that there is not really a work a round for this.

Thanks

try adding the following to your .htaccess file , then rerun and post results. My store is currently at 92% on the page speed grade / similar results on the yslow though this is mostly due to lack of a CDN, will be happy to share anything else that helped.

* warning not ideal during testing phase due to caching but great for live environment 

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
# Enable expirations
ExpiresActive On 
# Default directive
ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 month"
# My favicon
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
# Images
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"
# CSS
ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
# Javascript
ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 year"
# HTML
ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 1 year"
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
        Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
    </IfModule>
        AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css text/x-component application/x-javascript application/javascript text/javascript text/x-js text/html text/richtext image/svg+xml text/plain text/xsd text/xsl text/xml image/x-icon application/json
    <IfModule mod_mime.c>

# DEFLATE by extension
        AddOutputFilter DEFLATE js css htm html xml
    </IfModule>
</IfModule>

all gone horribly wrong. Server didn't like this at all Leverage Browser caching was fine but the last bit has left me with a cart which wouldn't load. I've stripped the htacess file from the server and cubecart seems to have self generated a new on and all I keep getting is Firefox cannot load the page it is redirecting in a way which will never load. Back to square one with the whole project by the looks of it.

I've cleared all the cache options in CC and deleted all my browser cookies but still looping. Dam and blast!

Edited by onebrowncow

Hi OneBrownCow,

Sorry to hear that it caused such unexpected behaviour, on reflection the html and javascript caching will probably be the cause of the issue here cubecart by default does not appear to behave well with this enabled. But we are running cc6 with the above and have tested on 3 servers, so I would have to consider examining the server settings also if its still misbehaving. 

Hi Kealan, turns out there were several issues involved in this incident which we have now resolved.

I am also aware that our server config needs some updating. I am speaking to my host about it all and hope to have things sorted shortly once I've explain what we need.

Once this is done I am confident your suggestions above will work