Newbie question

Hi - I'm new to having an online store and obviously new to cubecart so be gentle with me :)

A few things that will hopefully be fairly simple.....

1. How do I change the background colour (Black) on the basic foundation skin ?
  2. If I change it to black, I'll also need to change the text colour of login/register, cart and price.  Where are they ?
  3. Where can I find sale items to remove the item from the top menu bar ?

I have 4 products currently but every time I click on any of them to get description etc I get a 404 message

I'll likely have some more questions but these are the main ones so I can make it look and feel how I want it !

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Animal_UK! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

I will recommend to you that you get the Firefox browser and the Firefox Addon Firebug. Firebug will be your best friend at learning what CSS rules are in play for any area of the web page.

CubeCart loads a number of CSS file, and cubecart.default.css, currently empty, is the last to load, therefore whatever rules are in this file will take precedence over any other rule.

So, in cubecart.default.css, add the rules:

body { background-color: black; }
#box-session .button.white { background-color: black; color: white; }
#box-language .button.white { background-color: black; color: white; }
#box-currency .button.white { background-color: black; color: white; }
#mini-basket .button.white { background-color: black; color: white; }

If you set the store settings to not be in "sale mode", the link will not be there. But if you want to maintain sale mode, but remove the link anyway, in the template box.navigation.php:

Find:
	{if $CTRL_SALE}
	<li class="li-nav"><a href="{$URL.saleitems}" title="{$LANG.navigation.saleitems}">{$LANG.navigation.saleitems}</a></li>
	{/if}

Change to:
{* Temporarily commented out
	{if $CTRL_SALE}
	<li class="li-nav"><a href="{$URL.saleitems}" title="{$LANG.navigation.saleitems}">{$LANG.navigation.saleitems}</a></li>
	{/if}
*}

A 404 response from the web server means that URL ReWriting is not available, or is malfunctioning. This is a capability of the web server. You may need to verify with your hosting provider to enable URL Rewriting.

That ALL worked great - thanks :)

Is there a way to have a picture in the background rather than just black ?

Also trying to setup my CanadaPost but keep getting "Unfortunately there are no suitable shipping methods available for your order. This may be because the total weight of your order is too high or we cannot ship to your country. Please contact a member of our staff for any further inquiries."

when I go to check out.

but I think it's the canadapost extension that I've not got 100%.

Tried a couple of others shops and this is proving to be the best I've trialled so far and will likely keep with it.

Thanks

Add to the CSS body rule a property for background-image:

body { background-color: black; background-image: url('path/to/image.png'); }

Keep in mind, the path/to/image.png is based on starting where the CSS file is located. So, you may need to prepend the path with "go_up" indicators (../) to rise up and out of the CSS folder.

The CanadaPost module uses CubeCart's Request() system to ask for a rate. So, visit the Request Log in admin and find the Request and Response from CanadaPost, and post the entry here so we can determine how best to proceed.