Facebook meta property="og:image" will NOT accept hyphens

Dirty Butter

I just accidentally discovered that the Open Graph image url will not work on Facebook IF there is a hyphen in the image name. FB scrapes a blank image it the hyphen is there. Using the FB Debugger, I could see that FB was finding the correct image url, but not displaying it.

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro to edit my photos, and one of the neat things is the ability to name a group of images in one fell swoop, with the same name and an appended sequence number. I failed to notice on a recent upgrade that I needed to uncheck a box to keep a hyphen from appending with the number.

So recent items I've listed that had more than one photo have been showing up on Facebook with blank images. When I finally noticed the blank photo on a FB post, I realized that my old images didn't have the hyphen. After editing the name-01.JPG images to name01.JPG in Filemanager, I was able to get the photos to show on FB.

Twitter and PInterest appear to have no problem with hyphens.There may be other characters that FB cannot read correctly. If you find any other characters that FB cannot scrape correctly, please comment.