width of website

the white space on either side of the website, is this due to default formatting to cover both desktop & tablet / phone type devices?

I noticed on a slightly bigger device such as the ee pc the detection thought it was a tablet / phone type device and therefore the layout was the same as my phone but on the small laptop I could appreciate the lack of white space either side,

Is there a simple enough way to keep format detection in place for tablet / phone type devices but stretch, widen the site for normal desktop purposes, your average site isn't slimed down and I'd like to experiment with this, thank

I would have to assume, when the CubeCart developer's went with Foundation, they chose to download a "prepared package" which limited the width of the display to no more than 62.5 uppercase letter 'M's. (This is the CSS measurement 'em' - a measure based on the size of font in use.) I see no reason why Zurb would have coded Foundation this way themselves. So, when the browser window gets wider than 62.5em, there begins large white areas on either side.

Anyway, one of Foundation's CSS properties for the row class is max-width: 62.5em;. It can be overridden by adding this rule into the file cubecart.default.css:

.row {max-width: 100%;}

However, CubeCart's implementation of Foundation does not "respond" with a different layout when the width of the window gets larger than that. So, you will discover that all the boxes, panels, images, etc, get grotesquely large at extreme widths.

"At the moment I am happy with the extreme widths without a layout change, this I may look into further later on."

When you are ready, I would like to join you in creating a decent looking layout for wider widths.