Site Layout, possible upgrade idea?

Hello,

I have surfed this site many times, and there are 2 things that I severly dislike about the site. The first is the downloads section, and the other is the posting section. When modifications are created, or are open to the public, you have to read the code from many of the pages to install them. If you don't, you might miss a correction or something else that has improved the mod. I know they are also available in the downloads section, but that too is a mess. There are 2+ downloads in each section of the downloads section. Some of them are "quick" fixes, some of them are full installs, etc.

Why aren't all of them full installs? Why do there need to be "patches" instead of ONE download, with the patches installed? new comers that download JUST a patch and upload it are going to run into probelms, and have to figure out how to fix it. Please don't say that all downloads are updated with patches in the downloads section as I have already downloaded several of them that are not, though the patch is IN that download section.

I am not one to complain unless I have a solution or idea that would improve this site exceptionally and make navigation and mod installation a breeze.

I am more in tune with forums than I am shopping carts. I run and maintain 3 vBulletin Communities. VBulletin is a great forum script, with unbelievable features and enhancements. Just like CC, vBulletin allows you to add modifications, etc. Some of them are even installed as a "stock" item in new releases. However, that isn't what I want to discuss. What I want to discuss is how they handle their modifications and updates. Their system is wonderful.

In ALL threads that contain a modification, there is a zip file. The zip file contains the needed instructions to make the modification. When a member sees a way to improve the modification, and the change is minor but significant in how it works with the modification, they UPDATE the ZIP file with the NEW instructions. This means that a newbie that comes along that mod/hack will get the most up to date modification without having to search for updates or corrections.

They also have support listed for each modification. If the author supports the modification, it is listed. If they do not, it is listed. This helps people so they know that if there is a problem with the mod, they can simply ask for help, or they installed it without support and are left to their own devices.

Here is a screen capture of what you will find in a vBulletin.org thread that contains a hack:

examplemodwithzip.jpg

As depicted, the files and instructions are included in the zip. If the author sees an improvement listed by a member, and they like the improvement, they add it to the zip if it functions properly. People also release addon enhancements for current modifications in an "Addon" forum. The title is (addon for "modname"). They are setup in the same fashion.

The same should be applied to this site and the downloads section of this site. I find that this sites forums are chaotic at best. I start reading about a hack and within 10 posts, I no longer know which version of code I should be using because there are 4 threads with codes for this modification.

I have been running forums for years now, so maybe it is just me and how I interpret things. I am not trying to insult anyone or this site. I am just trying to give some ideas as to how to create a more beneficial site for the members where things are more organized.

Also, if you want to create a product that will vastly grow in popularity, you should create a version of CC that integrates into Vbulletin. It is far and few that are capable of being integrated. I will personally be rewriting my CC to integrate at some point, but your cart would certainly become a favorite if it were integrated. Also, integration means that new hacks and mods would be created for it. VBulletin has some unbelievable coders that add enhancements.

Sorry for rambling. This is my first post. I am a ball of ideas, so it most likely won't be my last.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope I didn't insult anyone, as that was never my intention. I am just pointing out ways to improve the layout for the members that support your product.

Guest jbdancer

They also have support listed for each modification.

Can't do this otherwise a forum where you have to scroll like hell .

But support : the best we can.

But thanks anyway for your suggestions.

This site was built in about 3 days in total as we have tried to focus on development of the core product (well CC3 mainly) and have a home which "works". Its all maintained and developed by one person so its tough. Theres also not enough cash yet to take on another full time employee.

Once CC3 is released I well improve the downloads section and build a much better contribution section.

No rest for the wicked... :P

VBulletin are way ahead of us and its still very early days so all in all there has to be compromises. Maybe when we have as many staff as VBulletin or less we will have a far superior site than they do.

Why aren't all of them full installs? Why do there need to be "patches" instead of ONE download, with the patches installed? new comers that download JUST a patch and upload it are going to run into probelms, and have to figure out how to fix it. Please don't say that all downloads are updated with patches in the downloads section as I have already downloaded several of them that are not, though the patch is IN that download section.

In ALL threads that contain a modification, there is a zip file. The zip file contains the needed instructions to make the modification. When a member sees a way to improve the modification, and the change is minor but significant in how it works with the modification, they UPDATE the ZIP file with the NEW instructions. This means that a newbie that comes along that mod/hack will get the most up to date modification without having to search for updates or corrections.

They also have support listed for each modification. If the author supports the modification, it is listed. If they do not, it is listed. This helps people so they know that if there is a problem with the mod, they can simply ask for help, or they installed it without support and are left to their own devices.

The problem with 'Full Installs' is that the nature of cubecart doesnt allow for simple installs of mods... they all need to be hard-coded into the script itself. When errors are found, the scripts are almost always updated (The downloads section does need an overhaul tho, i will admit...), however this does take time, and all the mods provided on the forum are free, so not all mod-writers have the spare time.

All mods posted on the forum are supported by their writers, and the other members of the forum.

This site was built in about 3 days in total as we have tried to focus on development of the core product (well CC3 mainly) and have a home which "works". Its all maintained and developed by one person so its tough. Theres also not enough cash yet to take on another full time employee.

And Brooky, im sure there are plenty of forum-members that would gladly volunteer their time where possible... well i know my hands up if you ever need help :P