CC3 - Sorry to spoil the party

Guest benjam

Guest benjam

Well guys, I’m sorry to spoil the party.......

I used CubeCart for about two months; the support here is great I will say. However, I recently changed to OScommerce out of pure frustration at CubeCart. It was a decision made also out of curiosity as you don't just look in one shop when you’re looking to buy something for yourself do you? That is why I decided to trial OScommerce. I have to say, that I have had no problems whatsoever and find that it offers so much more. I had it up and running the same day, no probs. Within 3 days my store was customised and I am not a script wizard.

CubeCart version two in its original state is no comparison to the current version of OScommerce. To even get CubeCart up to a decent e-commerce standard that is demanded in today's rapidly changing technological environment you have to mod, mod, mod, mod, mod.... and this is where all the problems and frustrations arise.

OScommerce comes ready with a whole host of greater features such as the stock availability feature, product reviews and a superb Amazon style checkout as just a few features. The script is also much more solid. In addition, mods in OScommerce have not caused me any problems. The only downside is the initial graphics and display of OScommerce, but this can easily be altered. You also have to password protect the admin directory yourself which many newbies might forget to do.

Whilst I wish CubeCart 3 all the best, I can't help but think that the new version is now just touching at the same level with OScommerce. But it will be another 6 months at least until all the problems are ironed out and we are talking about major problems :w00t: Problems that will basically not allow anyone to use the cart software for the purposes it is designed for, that is, to sell products or services to the Internet user, who demands stability and great usability. Then, after the version becomes stable, you have the problems of modding to suit personal requirements. Once again, another 6 months at least of trial and error.

:rolly:

Thanks for the review. OSCommerce is good but it's dieing a slow death I think. It's messy and I think about 5 years old!

CC3 will have a lot more development work put into it than CC2 has. It's features are still a bit limited with the current release, BUT the scope is far greater.

XHTML? CSS Layout? 100% seperate php from HTML? These are the kind of features modern carts need and almost none have.

Frustratingly close to the top now....

Although you are switching, I would like to say nice write up.

Im glad you didnt go off saying "BAHHHHHHHHHH CubeCart sucks, your all fools for using it, OSC is SOOO much better". Instead you wrote a nice write up.

In the meantime, I hope you have good success with your store, and perhaps we'll see you back for v3, which looks like I might not use it :rolly:

Guest benjam

I do have a soft spot for cubecart I suppose, as I said, great community :)

I will certainly keep my eyes peeled at the developments over the next few months. Any chances of a demo or newer screenshots of CC3, has anyone got it live yet?

I have to say that in the beginning, i'd already tried and given up on OSC, ZenCart, and several others... then i came to CC... found it to be excellent, but not quite up to what i needed... so i tried several others again (including re-trying OSC several times, until i got soooo fed up with the admin section that i closed the browser kicking and screaming...) ... and came back to CubeCart, spent a fair amount of time modifiying my store, and after about 3 months of work, it finally got to where i wanted it. Its just a matter of deciding if you have the time and the effort to put into making your store your own. With the release of CC3 (once the few "minor" bugs are sorted), it should almost definately wipe the floor with OSC and its little tag-along ZenCart.

Of course just my $0.02...

Errr I don't exactly tend to take sides.

So don't assume that I am here.

However, I'll make a few points.

Oscommerce (development wise) is dead. Last version released around 2000/2001. Lame.

Oscommerce is a complete BITCH to Mod & Theme due to the lame manner in which it's been coded. 5 Years old remember.

It has some more features, correct, however is again extremely lame and time consuming to get up to the standard that for example I have with my store atm (www.gamma.co.nz)

Other points ~

Cubecart is far from perfect, personally I don't exactly like the new design for CubeCart 3 and won't be upgrading to it just yet.

In regards to Cubecart 2 however, the design was relatively basic so easy to edit....

meh finish this later.

cubecart still beats oscommerce but it's far from perfect.

conclusion: oscommerce is lame. thx 4 the review. this was mine.

I think thats where I'm sitting too. I tried osC but it simply would not do what I wanted it to do, and the code that needed to be changed was all over the place.

CC2 on the other hand, was bare bones. But, it was really easy to find what I needed to change, and was also really easy to learn php from, as it was all straight forward. Now, I have my own cart. It's a CC2, but with a turbo booker charged engine :)

another thing.

I probably won't even bother with cc3. A new layout and some shiny buttons is all it looks like.

"If it work's. Don't f**k with it" - Akumanz ; 9:43pm Friday 1 April 2005

another thing.

I probably won't even bother with cc3. A new layout and some shiny buttons is all it looks like.

"If it work's. Don't f**k with it" - Akumanz ; 9:43pm Friday 1 April 2005

A new layout and some shiny buttons is all it looks like

You need to read the code. It has similar features (with more to come) but the power behind those features is FAR superior.