[Minor] Easier Checkout Login/Register Box

Guest twisted

Guest twisted

File Name :: Easier Checkout Login/Register Box

Author :: twisted

Category :: Minor

Description ::

I know some people find that the default login or register box at the start of the checkout process, just a trifle confusing.

To make it easier for your customers to understand just what it is you want them to fill in, I have made a modified version of this part of the process.

You can see it in action on my wifes flower site:

http://adorationsonline.com

Just add something to the cart and then begin checkout to see it.

Installation difficulty: 1/10

Time taken: less than 5 minutes.

Updated Sun, Jul 10 2005 2:49 am

View File

Edited by twisted

Very nice idea. I had tried to do something like this in the past, but it didn't turn out as I had hoped at that time. Now that I see what you've done here, I'm tempted to go back and try this again :o

Twisted, this is awesome. That logon always bothered me with it looking and functioning as it did. I'm going to install this mod right now.

THANKS! :P

Guest twisted

Y'all.........don;t use this right now. I got one of those effin "Error on page" warnings.........I gotta find out where it is [unless one of ya has already found and cured the problem].

:D

I don't know.............the code is EXACTLY the same as it is in a default customer.php file.

I'll throw this one open to you Grade A debuggers out there.

Cos I have no clue.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

;):P :D

Edited by twisted

Some feedback on this one for you...

Gave it a go on our site and visually it looks great and is much easier for the customer to understand for sure. However i had no luck getting it to actually submit the data entered. The buttons seem to not respond or transmit the data entered into the fields. Page error was the result.

This one is worth working on though as it is a great enhancement to the registration process. It may even save some lost sales!

Thanks Twisted.

I had tried to do something like this in the past, but it didn't turn out as I had hoped at that time.

I haven't installed your mod yet, so haven't seen the error...

And if I recall correctly, this may be the same reason I gave up on mine, oh so long ago ;)

Now that I am much more experienced with php though, I still may have another go at it :P

You can see it in action on my test site:

http://test10.designscubed.com

Just add something to the cart and then begin checkout to see it.

Booker if you run through the test site on Twisted shop you'll be able to see what a happens when you click either login or register button. It's like the PHP doesnt like two forms on the same page or main table with two 'submit' buttons.

I was trying different things for a few hours last night with the code but I'm just now good enough to tackle it yet.

That is the problem from what i can see its the two submit buttons in main table, im gonna have a go at rewriting the code and split in to two tables and see if that helps.

Guest twisted

I thought that might be an issue too....thats why each <form> works on a different table.

The returning customers login is in one table, and the new customers register is in another table.

Each half of the page has its own table wrapped around its own form.

But yes, the submits do both have the same name.

Perhaps this?

<form method="POST" name="login"...> for the login portion, and

<form method="POST" name="register"...> for the new customers portion.

Think that would do it?

**EDIT** Should have just gone ahead and tried it.

That does work...........but only for login. If I enter an email address in the register side, it will give an "invalid email" error message.

Progress, at least. Kinda.

Edited by twisted

Twisted I think thats it! :on2long:

I was just messing with your code when you just threw in that idea. I changed this :

<form method=\"post\" name=\"register\" action=\"customer.php?session=$session\">

and the button:

<td bgcolor=\"$colour_1\" height=\"24\" width=\"94\" background=\"images/red_button.gif\" align=\"center\" style=\"cursor: hand;\" onClick='register.submit();'>

I left the logon section alone and now it seems to process like it should.

Yeah that's got to be it. I've been trying all the different e-mail / wrong e-mail / password / combinations and it's working like a champ.

Guest twisted

Tim, you musta posted that as I was uloading the updated download package.

Seems like we figured it out at the same time.

And thats EXACTLY what I did!

:on2long:

I just had a customer attempt to register which accepted his e-mail address okay, which his e-mail included an '-' before the @domain ... Then he attempted to relogin and place an order, but the customer.php was giving him an 'Invalid E-Mail address' error.

In the customer.php file, I changed this line (around 279) from:

if ((!ereg("^[a-zA-Z0-9_.]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+\.[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+$", $email))or(empty($email)))

to

if ((!ereg("^[a-zA-Z0-9_.-]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+\.[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+$", $email))or(empty($email)))

ALSO, around line 170 is:

if ((!ereg("^[a-zA-Z0-9_.]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+\.[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+$", $email))or(empty($email)))

change to:

if ((!ereg("^[a-zA-Z0-9_.-]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+\.[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+$", $email))or(empty($email)))

Just in the blue moon chance someone with the '-' character attempts to place an order.

Thanks, twisted and Tim for this "fix"; I had already installed the mod, but hadn't really tested it out yet as our site is live and I hate to keep sending the owner "bogus" orders . . . heh, heh . . . made the changes and keeping fingers crossed!! <_<

• 2 weeks later...

In the customer.php file, I changed this line from:

to

Tried The mod by TimHensel and it still came up with error on the email address..

any ideas as the email address was [email protected]

:):D B)

when you are in the store front how do i make it so people can't register (so i can sort this out with in the admin side) :)

Guest twisted

Just to clarify, do you mean you want to manually approve customer registrations before giving them access to the site? Or do you mean remove the registration process altogether so any Tom, Dick or Harry can checkout?

Just to clarify, do you mean you want to manually approve customer registrations before giving them access to the site? Or do you mean remove the registration process altogether so any Tom, Dick or Harry can checkout?

I Wish To Make It That They Can View Anything In The Store And Log In (Thats If They Are Registered) But I Would Have To Register Them Via The Admin.. I Already Have The Admin Register Bit Just Need It So No One Can Register With Out Me Accepting Them As A Customer... Is This Hard To Do

Tried The mod by TimHensel and it still came up with error on the email address..

any ideas as the email address was [email protected]

Sorry leighmetcalfe, here is the fix for that problem:

In the Customer.php file,

around line 170 is:

change to:

I missed that there was two e-mail checkers located within the same file there. One located around line 170 and the other located around line 279. ;)

I tested it out and it will work fine for '[email protected]' now.

Also I have updated my first post with this.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest woodbtreasures

Ok so I'm a php idiot...

I've looked and looked and I can't find a file named customer.php

This may have something to do with the fact that I'm using cc 3.0.1, but I was hoping that it would work for this version anyway.

Am I just being retarded here or will this just not work?

-jeremy

Guest twisted

You are correct...there is no customer.php in v.3.x

This mod ios for v.2.x.x ONLY.

Leigh...do you have a wholesale site?

Cos thats the only reason I could see for you wanting to do it that way. Well, that and some perverse desire to piss your customers off. B)

If I coudl view anything, add it to the cart and go to chceckout, only to be told when I registered that my registration had to be manually approved, I wouldn;t come back. ;)

Guest woodbtreasures

You are correct...there is no customer.php in v.3.x

This mod ios for v.2.x.x ONLY.

Thanks twisted...I was afraid of that :P

Sorry I don't mean to go off topic here, but is there a way to do this ix v3.x.x?

-jeremy :)

• 1 month later...