Promoting website-Banner Ads

Guest andytoys

Guest andytoys

Still investigating ways to drive more traffic to my website.

I have been offered a banner advert on the front page of a semi-related website for £30 per month. The front page gets an average of 50,000 hits per month. Most referrals come via Google, Yahoo is second.

I'd also get a "This site is sponsored by AndyToys" message on the front page of the website and a similar message appended to all emails that the site sends out.

Is £30 a fair price? Do banner ads produce traffic, either directly or indirectly?

Guest andytoys

Well, the banner will be at the top, if that makes a difference. To be honest I wasn't expecting a huge number of click-throughs.

However, it would mean that I have a link (For a month) on a popular website, that got a mention in MS Encarta and has been the "Website of the month" for various publications.

In addition, I'd get a permanent link on a sub page saying "January 2006, this site was sponsored by www.andytoys.co.uk".

Would such a link help with search engine placement? Would it indirectly help drive traffic to my site?

At the moment I'm finding it difficult to get backlinks on decent websites. I have a feed on Froogle and am awaiting a response from dmoz. I have submitted to search engines that accept free submissions.

Any other ideas or tips?

Guest andytoys

The banners on the bottom of these forums produce 428,834 impressions and 304 click throughs a month. Thats a 0.07% click through ratio which is bad.

So based on those figures I could expect 30-40 hits from a banner advert on a site with 50,000 visitors.

Now, the question is how many click throughs result in a sale?

Hi andytoys!

In your first post you wrote 50,000 hits; in your last you wrote 50,000 visitors. Which is it? :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see what difference this will make for your site. Personally, I believe that the permanent link will be the most significant long-term return for you - but that is assuming that your site is truly SEO. If you are truly SEO with the right terms and keywords, and you are submitting to many directories, and you have links at some quality sites, you are on your way. :wacko:

A hit is each time an image or stylesheet etc loads on a page. Make 100% sure the vendor is selling you unique visits.

One page view could have 50+ hits. 1 visit could have 3-5 page views.

Do the maths and you'll see why it is important.

This site gets 30,000 unique visits a month. 50,000 is extremely impressive so do some research with a tool such as the free searches as http://www.marketleap.com

Guest jeromas

I would suggest using a Google Adwords campaign to drive targeted traffic to your site. In that way, you get people clicking to your site who are interested in your products. Another good bet is to list your products in Froogle, as doing so got me about 500 clicks to my site last month from Google, and the best part is that Froogle is free to list your items (Adwords of course is not).

The only real concern with Adwords is fradulent clicks to your site (ie competitors, etc) driving up your ad costs without any benefit to you. My suggestion would be for you to try it for a couple of months and see what kind of difference it makes.

As a testimonial, I use Adsense on my biotech company's website (ie we place Google Ads on our web page to make revenue from people clicking through the ads), and we have about a 2-3% clickthrough rate on average, which is very good.