Calling all Apple Mac Users...

1. I know nothing about Macs.

2. I need one to test Mac specific browsers with CubeCart. All the current machines in the office are Win XP or Linux.

3. Can any one recommend a desktop machine that is low spec, cheap to pick up second hand and capable of running uptodate software?

I only want to use it for the browsers really.

You could try ebay or the Apple website which sells refurbished models I think every wednesday.

Or maybe someone here uses a Mac and can test CubeCart for you?

Guest bgetting

You might want to just test on Firefox for the PC. Most Mac users will be running either Safari or Firefox, both of which are pretty good as standards compliance. At least when compared with Internet Explorer. You may find that an occasional visitor is using IE5 for the Mac, but that hasn't been made or supported in years, so it's not really worth worrying about those users.

As long as something looks good in Firefox on a PC, and is not using proprietary and non-standard code, it should translate well to the Apple folks. In my design experience, it's not the Macs that you have to worry about, but the PC running Internet Explorer.

In my design experience, it's not the Macs that you have to worry about, but the PC running Internet Explorer.

This.

Safari (the browser used by most Mac users) passed the Acid2 css rendering test, so providing your code is valid and conforms to the standard, it's a pretty safe bet Safari will also run it fine. You could also check your work in Opera, as that's another browser which - I believe - has passed the Acid2 test.

The only real difference between these standard compliant browsers is the browser defaults. I find Safari gives all text a slightly higher line-height than other browsers, and Opera gives the body a slight padding. Simple testing will quickly identify such problems though, but I find that using universal rules like * {padding: 0px} can save a lot of problems later on.

I still reccomend getting a Mac though, once you've used Expose, you'll wonder how you ever survived without it ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest highlystrung666

Thats great to know folks. As far as I can tell it should be fine on a Mac. It may be worth having one to test stuff on though. I'll check out the refurbished ones and ebay. ;)

Thanks all.

Hi, I'm an Apple Mac user - Cubecart works fine but in some situations I find myself having to do simple tasks in a Windows environment. Cubecart generaly functions alright in Safari, Firefox and Camino, but for example - when adding a product in safari, the formatting occasionally doesnt come out as it should when viewing the store. So I find myself having to boot into Windows to add products.

The good thing about my Mac (Mac Mini) is that it has the Intel chip, which allows me to run XP natively on the same machine. So you may want to get an Intel model should you decide to purchase a Mac.