What do you think of Beta so far?

Guest Brivtech

Guest Brivtech

What are your views on V4 so far?

Buggy as hell - But that's to be expected, alpha testing wasn't done on such a wide range of systems. I'm yet to view a product due to an SQL error, so while I'm waiting for a fix, I'm concentrating on other areas, like MODding.

Easily adaptable - I've already been able to very easily adapt every MOD I've thrown at it so far, including Convict's clone products MOD. The code blocks are esentially the same as 3.0.x, with tweaks and additions here and there. The file structure is slightly different, but it doesn't take long to see where things have been moved to, and how to adapt your code to the changes. I think I can say, it's good news for everyone who was asking if they can use their mods with the new v4 - it shouldn't be too difficult to re-adapt them by the original mod programmers, or if you already have some php programming knowledge.

New features - Somehow, I thought the new features would be jumping off the screen smacking me around the head like an orange Tango man, but I didn't get this - I think this is because the new features have been integrated into the system, as if they'd always been there. To anyone using V4 after using V3, it'll all seem so familiar, and you'll really need to keep an eye on the new features list to remember they're new. This may also be due to the fact, that my testing is still limited, as per the SQL error. Perhaps that Tango man is just around the corner!

So far, I'm suitably impressed.

Pleased you like it. Sorry about the product issue and bugs.

There are lots of new features merged into existing parts so that fact you don't see a vast difference means we have achieved what we wanted. We still have a big list of things on our white board we wish to add in the future.

We are nailing the bugs fast and you lot have been an incredible help. We can't thank you enough. I expect we will have a Beta 2 out by the start of next week which addresses most of the issues so far.

Thanks to you all.

Very pleased with it so far.

I'm also moving servers, so busy.

The Zend/IonCube documentation needs a bit of a tweek. It wasn't immediently apparent which IonCube .so file was needed (the IonCube helper files provide this info, if you run them).

I've spotted a few problems on the store skins, but love the new ones!

The Caching system works well.

I've noticed customers no longer need to log in - the Checkout process looks much better, and we should be able to hide any buttons not required.

However, things like alternative checkouts (Google and PayPal) threw me, most unexpected!

One of my stores has 1500+ products, so I'm looking forward to importing those to see how it fares.

Jason

I've just got access to admin panel today so will give it a good run over the next few nights (when I can get to grips with it at home).

From a quick look I can see some of the new features but I agree that others don't appear 'new' because many have them through 3rd party mods in existing stores.

I will take a look at a few existing mods I have running on my CC3 store to see how big the differences are between the base CC3 and CC4 code. I won't install any - I'm NOT a programmer so will leave that to people who know what they are doing.

I had installed the beta within a half-hour of getting the notice that it was available. I ran into a few of the bugs, but was able to navigate around them to get it installed.

Was VERY impressed with what I saw in the admin screens. Lots of nifty features that I either added with mods to version 3, or thought about adding, like Auto Currency Update, redirect to cart when clicking the Buy buttons, and many others.

Unlike Brivtech, I thought the file structure was dramatically different. I went looking for where the side boxes were generated for the main index page and it took me a while to find it. Not at all like it was before. Although I do have to say that I not a coder, so this may be a minor thing to someone familiar with PHP.

I LOVE the new skins! Fantastic! Tested my custom skin and noticed that there will need to be a couple of tweaks, but nothing drastic to make it work with the new version. Probably just adding a few codes to integrate new features. I'm sure there will be a guide to upgrading skins later in the process.

The upgrade process had a few bugs in it too, but overall seemed to go very smooth. Even with all the mods I have that have changed the database structure (coupon and giftcard being one of them), it seemed that all products, categories, customers, and orders came through. Haven't taken a in-depth look at things, though, so I can't say it was a perfect upgrade.

There are a few features that I am estatic at having in the core code, but other features that seem to me to be VERY important that weren't included. Shipping methods for one. There will still be opportunities for modders to create commercial products for use with CubeCart.

Overall, I am quite impressed with the new version and feel that it will be worth the price of an upgrade. However, at this stage, there are enough bugs to be worked out that I haven't gotten the complete picture.

Guest alejo139

Greetings to all, V4 for this very brilliant with their new functions and interfaces, new skins are elegant, as far as the small errors and single they are small adjustments that there are to solve, for that reason Beta version is called, to prove, to solve and to improve it. It is my humble opinion since I am not an expert programmer in PHP like many of you.

I want to today try to place the Spanish language of the V3 version to see if it works. although that this is not a final version of the V4 but I am wanted to advance this concept for the great definitive version. Thanks for so great tool of work, we follow ahead that there is work that to do.

Guest Brivtech

Okay, that's fine, but bare in mind that different countries have different colloquialisms.

USA - Store, UK - Shop

Native Spanish and Latin American Spanish also have various differences.

You need to remember to tell your translators to make international language translations, so that particular expressions will mean the same thing. It's what we do, and it's very important to us. icon_e_ugeek.gif

Also, we don't use flags. Some people object to clicking on another country's flag to get the common language. I don't know what your thoughts are on this one. Perhaps it's a cultural thing.

While I'm rabbiting on about languages, it would be nice if currency names could be translated. Example:

Site main language - English, currency South African Rands, American Dollars

If the site flipped over into Afrikaans, then currency should translate to Rand Suid Afrikaans, Dollar Amerikaans.

I'm sure there's other parts of the system that could also accomodate translations: Shipping methods and Countries for a start.

EDIT:

Great news for Modders! :) If you create a new table in the same database, but with the same table prefix as the existing ones, it'll be included in the new backup feature! :)

Guest alejo139

If the Spanish language has many colloquial variants depending on the zone, examples. Mexico, Argentina, Spain or Venezuela my country of origin, by single naming some from which they are different to each other

Perhaps the option to look for a company dedicated to such work is a good general concept, to offer a product with a professional completion, and soon every one can fit it to its region.

And once the interested ones in improving it in their colloquial variant can share it for which they are interested remembering to him to put his respective flag so that it is understood that translation to the Spanish is used in that store.

Guest degsey69

After getting the software installed and running finally I can see from the feel of it that it is far superior in function than ver 3 especially the admin area.

Most of the improvements are ver3 mods incorporated although I was disapointed that there was not far more than was included.

I would have like to have seen the VAT mod so you can see both prices in the store, also I would like to have seen the mod where it shows what other customers who bought that item also bought.

The new ver is definately admin orientated with only a few new functions in the store.

Still its still early days and the final version is not here yet.

I like it, I am confident with it.

Degsey

Anyone notice if there are any SEO capabilities...yet?

There are - it's built in at the bottom of the General Settings page.

I would like to know if the product options can be ordered?