UK VAT fixed in 4.1.0

cb2004

Guest degsey69

On the bug tracker I noticed on the roadmap that UK VAT has been closed (therefore I presume fixed?). This should be in 4.0.0 as nobody can really believe its been left out.

I second that as this is important to me as well.

Degsey

Guest Brivtech

Didn't we already discuss all of this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be the requirement that's lacking:

1. To have the option to enter a price which is either ex-vat or inc-vat - This could be done by having a radio button next to the price, giving each option. When the price is posted to the database, the VAT could be stripped off, as the VAT rate should be recorded separately. The setting of include/exclude should be stored with the product, so that when the product is displayed again in admin, it shows ex or inc according to the setting, and does a quickie on the calculation, so it appears as it was originally entered if it's inc. vat.

2. another option to display prices ex-vat or inc.vat, which would be in the General Settings. Why? Because In the UK, trade prices typically are VAT exclusive, whereas retail prices are VAT inclusive. The existing system forces a calculation which may or may not be wanted when displaying prices.

I'll make the above modifications hopefully by next weekend, and present the code to Al. If he wants to use it, then it's up to him, failing that, he can program his own version.

Does this cover what everyone here wants? I'm doing this really for my own benefit. Or has it already been addressed and I'm oblivious to that?

This definately needs doing. I'd buy a mod.

Cubecart 4.0.0 at the moment only works with UK VAT if you are a trade store, i.e vat is added at the checkout. It is a legal requirement if you are VAT registered to show VAT inclusive prices in the shop next to the product. At present this is impossible.

The store needs to show VAT inclusive prices and simply break down the VAT at checkout. Not add it on!

I don't understand what the problem is. CubeCart v4.0.0 works perfectly with UK VAT taxes.

Please dont tell me this hasn't been fixed in 4.0 :)

Most UK cubecart stores (99% of them) are currently breaking the law using cubecart because of the tax settings!

For sites that are meant for business sales you are allowed to display excuding VAT and calculate the tax at the end of the cart BUT for normal retails sales to the general public your cart prices must show VAT inclusive prices, the VAT should then be shown as a breakdown at the checkout (although this part isn't leagally necersary but very handy when doing VAT returns!

You need 2 UK settings in cubecart "Retail sales" or "business sales"

business sales would work similar to cubecarts current system in that you enter a VAT exclusive price in to each product and the VAT is added at the end of the cart to the products (AND SHIPPING!)

Retail sales should work by entering a VAT Inclusive price in to each product page, you then need some sort of code to divide the inclusive price by 117.5 and multiply the result by 17.5 for the VAT element, then you need to divide the VAT inclusive price by 117.5 and multiply the result by 100 to give you the Vat exclusive price.

You can not divise a system to enter a VAT exclusive price and for it to display a correct inclusive price because it wont always work properly due to rounding up to 2 decimal places.

e.g. your retail VAT inclusive price point may be £9.99, if you had a system where you entered a VAT exclusive price it will be very difficult to get the rounding to correct display £9.99 you may only be able to show £9.98 or £10.00

I know the above probably doesnt make sense but I have a lot of experiance in looking through nearly 50 Invoice programs, I have only managed to find one software program that works properly for UK VAT retail sales!

Guest Brivtech

Well, if Al doesn't want to take this up and correct the UK VAT as I suggested, then I'll program something and release it as GNU. I'm not bothered about selling MODs. If Al then decides to incorporate it later, he can do so by giving me an acknowledgement for the pieces of code.

Consider it fixed, give me a week.

Well, if Al doesn't want to take this up and correct the UK VAT as I suggested, then I'll program something and release it as GNU. I'm not bothered about selling MODs. If Al then decides to incorporate it later, he can do so by giving me an acknowledgement for the pieces of code.

Consider it fixed, give me a week.

Brivtech, do you understand what I wrote above about entering a VAT inclusive price?

Would be great to see this fixed, I have been trying to fix it for 2 years!!!

Guest Brivtech

I think so - You're saying there's a potential issue for the price to be messed up because of the 2 digit rounding when recalculating the ex/inc vat prices. I've never really had a problem with this, just on a rare occasion.

To keep things simple, what do you think about this idea:

1 - Provide an option in General Config. to display VAT in prices or not (retail / trade respectively).

2 - If checkbox has been ticked (for Price includes VAT), then apply this calculation to strip VAT from the price: (100 / (100 + VAT RATE ) X Price Entered) = ex.vat as they are saved. Also save the checkbox setting for this item's price. (This would also be duiplicated in the sale price) - Otherwise, leave the price alone, as it's already VAT exclusive.

For retail prices (Vat Inclusive):

3 - If retail prices option is set, make this calculation: (ITEM PRICE X 1.175) for retail to show the VAT price in product and category view.

4 - Basket would be altered to show an inclusive total - A tax breakdown could be made as well, handy for anyone buying retail but having to expense it back to their company for instance - Like on petrol receipts.

For trade prices (Vat Exclusive):

5 - Prices displayed without the VAT as normal, with the tax calculation performed at checkout.

Any formulae to calculate VAT would round prices accordingly, there's a simple function in php that does this: $result = round ($price, 2).

Is this what you're after everyone? If not, be specific to let me know what you need and I'll consider it.

I have attached a screenshot of an invoice layout I use which I have found to be perfect for retail sales. If you have a complete trade VAT breakdown it sometimes confuses people because they think they have been under or overcharged. I prefer to show the retail price on the invoice and a seperate VAT breakdown although I am sure this may be more tricky!

I have tried to use Actinic for a shopping cart before and it was complete disaster because of the way the VAT rounding works it only allowed me to enter a VAT exclusive price. It was almost impossible for me to get my price points correct. It was impossible to acheive £9.99, £14.99 £19.99 etc I have also had the same problem with many many invocie programs (as explained above).

The system you have proposed sounds about right you just need to be carful that the round to 2 decimal places doesnt screw everything up.

Another possible problem I have had in the past is when you add many items to a cart/invoice program the Prices of each item can change by a few pence because of the rounding to 2 decimal places but I dont think I will be able to explain in words exactly why its a problem, its only a tiny problem and may not even appear, I am sure if you can give the idea to brooky then he can put his VAT learning hat on so this probelm can be finally sorted!

Nothing needs to be fixed. This is a feature request and not a bug. It is something we want to add at a later time. :)

In which case I look forward to your modifications Brivtech. Estelles mod adds this functionality in 3 which is a neccesity in my eyes. Usually everybody knows there final price of say 9.99. Nobody wants to put in 7.38 or whatever it is to get the correct price at the end. Would be a pain in the arse.

Nothing needs to be fixed. This is a feature request and not a bug. It is something we want to add at a later time. :)

With all the fantastic features you've added to C4 and all the work you've put into it, I'm just a little surprised that such a fundamentally important feature was over looked.

The UK VAT fix which Brivtech is proposing isn't icing on the cake, it's a fundamentally important part of doing business in the UK/EU (I'm in Belgium and face the same problem as UK store owners), and I'm genuinely surprised that this version of Cubecart is going to need a mod from day one, to achieve this functionality.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I use Cubecart because it's the best shopping cart software out there, but this VAT thing isn't just a handy extra feature, it's an integral part of doing business in the EU.

It's far too late in the game now. I don't recall any sales/support tickets with this feature request. It should have been bought up earlier. We'll do our best to implement it in a future release to come.

I am sure I have seen posts dating back months (start of the year?) that you said the Tax issues were going to be sorted in V4. At a guess (apart from myself and a few others who have written on a few posts on both forums over the past few months) the general cubecarters are all going to presume that this is fixed because all EU states are going to need it as well as many other countries such as Australia (I think).

This is a link to the suggestions post with at half a dozen or more of people wanting the VAT fixed

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....mp;highlite=vat

Just search for Vat/tax problems on either .org or .com you will see lots!

Look forward to the update. it really is needed, if Brivtech can come up with a temporary fix it would be great (we all know your super busy brooky!) as soon as 11th September rolls over many people are going to be frustrated with the TAX settings!

I'm gonna jump into the fray with my 2p on the matter.

I've been working on some elements of the new VAT functionality. i've written a few functions that allow the total VAT to be calculated from a tax-inclusive price, and another that adds it to tax-exclusive values.

the reason why its not in 4.0 is simply because, as the developer, i decided that if i were to ensure this was in the 4.0 release, we would have to spend another few months working on it, ensuring compatibility with the existing tax functionality, and various other aspects of the store.

I said it would be in 4.1, as my plan is that 4.1 will have extremely large parts of the codebase rewritten, and optimized. my current alpha-testing branch has already shrunk, rewritten, or completely removed a lot of legacy code, and now includes a rather powerful global script debugger (replacing the old-school front-end only one), and quite a few security enhancements

Once 4.0 is out of the door on Tuesday, we'll be turning our attention away from the bug fix board, and towards the new features board, which actually has these few items (as they are written)

!!!! VAT module (Bug #220) !!!! [Circled in black pen]

Export to CSV/file

*** Admin Panel Redesign ***

Improve CAPTCHA

Google Analytics?

there are, of course, loads of other things up there (we're almost running out of space to add them), but we think we need to keep some secrets, as we think they might be fairly unique, and don't want to give the competition a headstart on our ideas ;)

Guest Brivtech

So, in the mean time, I'll be working on that temporary fix which should tide everyone over until 4.1 comes out.

I've learned a lot about php in the past 18 months, but I'm by no means an expert, and I would much prefer to go with code that's been programmed by someone who completely knows what they are doing. Having never learned php on a formal basis, I'm sure my code will be messy, but at least it'll do the job - If it's not perfect, tough! ;)

I have a busy rest of the week ahead, and I'm away over the weekend (Thanks to a friend's wedding), so if I don't get the chance to work on it this week, I will early next week.