spammers persistently registering on CC5

admin@batterydoctor.com.au

CC5.0.4

Hi everyone,

I have some serial spammers somehow registering an account everyday which i am constantly deleting.

here is an example of the email address

[email protected]

I have captcha enabled on both contact us and when ordering as a customer.

i can see a log of their activity in Staff Access Log/Customer Access but there seems no way of blocking the ip or the email address?

Is there a control in CC5 to block these pests?

Could they be coming in through the "subscribe to newsletter" function?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

I get these, too. They're using a program that "registers" via the underlying files and "answers" the captcha from some kind of an online source that matches the captcha image with the answer. I can tell they're not going through the normal route on our sites, because I have a MailChimp newsletter mod in place. Yet these "customers" have "subscribed" to the default CC newsletter, and there's no way that can be done from our sites. That same program hacks gmail and a few other email programs and can create innumerable accounts there to use to register on other sites.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dazmanjunket

I was getting this issue from 5.0.1 to 5.0.6 so far I have had no more spam registrations with 5.0.7 but we will see as I have only had the upgrade up for a week now.

This is why I'm a fan of alternate types of CAPTCHA. I like more visual solutions where the user has to drag one image to a particular place, etc. It's extremely hard to fudge that by script.