Resolved - "Shopping Basket" vs. "Shopping Cart"

mitchellds

This little detail is driving me absolutely nuts.

Most popular web sites here in the USA use the "Shopping Cart" to collect products that a customer wants to purchase.

In CubeCart 5.1.4 (and maybe prior versions as well), the convention is the "Shopping Basket."

There must be a super-simple way to globally change the word "Basket" to "Cart."

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

Hello mitchellds,

99.9% of the phrases used in CubeCart can be edited in the admin screen, Languages. The word 'basket' is used in a variety of scopes, but you may find the most common usages in the Common phrase group.

(There is a small bug in the language editor that should not affect you at all, and I am trying to nail it down.)

Making changes this way will survive code updates, as any edited phrase gets databased.

The wrong way to do it is to edit the file /language/definitions.xml, globally replacing 'basket' with 'cart'.

But here is how I see the usage of these terms:

While shopping, you are loading a shopping basket with items from the shelves. Once the clerk has scanned all the items at the checkout counter, the order then becomes a 'cart'.

As a shopping basket, the customer has an incomplete understanding of the total cost because shipping and taxes, coupons and discounts, gift cards and whatever are not taken into account. When the customer is at the point of handing over the credit card, then does CubeCart finally consider this a 'cart'. (From a programmer's perspective, it helps tremendously to know if CubeCart is managing the basket or the cart.)

Think of it as the bag-boy helping you to 'cart' your twenty cans of green beans out to your car.

I cannot respond to what other eCommerce solutions call the "container" holding items to be purchased, but going to an actual brick-n-mortar store, I distinguish a shopping basket as a true basket holding just a few items weighing less than what it would take to rip my arm out of my socket. A shopping cart is on wheels.