Database Restore Problem

mitchellds

First, I did a complete database and files backup through the 5.1.4 interface.

My goal this morning was to add 400 new products to my store via Import Catalogue.

Everything went fine, but I messed up and checked the "Replace Existing Inventory" checkbox. I was having trouble importing these 400 items because of "duplicate SEO entries." I got exactly 400 of these errors; the custom SEO for each of the 400 items was unique.

So I deleted the previous import because of the SEO errors. The result was that I lost my ENTIRE product inventory.

So, I think to myself, "I'm Good, I did a complete backup first." I went to the maintenance area and clicked on the icon to restore the database that I backed up earlier. Problem: no products show up in my inventory now (even after the restore).

Any ideas?

Let's start by asking a few questions:

The database backup was supposed to have been put in /backup/database(_full?)_CC514_databasename_date.sql. Is it still there?

If so, look at the file in a text file viewer and determine if the CubeCart_inventory table's data is included.

About a week ago, I prepared 400 new products for import. I imported these 400 items and found that I didn't have the data absolutely perfect. So, I went through the Remove Previous Import process.

Yesterday, my game plan was to import 400 new products. I took the time and made the import data absolutely perfect.

So, to start, I used the web interface to create a backup of the database and the files.

I went through the Import Catalog process without a hitch - until I saw exactly 400 errors in my System Error Log. Each error recorded a duplicate Custom SEO URL. Apparently, when you go through the Remove Previous Import process, the corresponding Custom SEO URLs DO NOT get deleted...that's why I got the Custom SEO URL "duplicate" error times 400. So, the problem I was left with at this point is none of the 400 products I imported had a Custom SEO URL (which I spent a bunch of time getting really squared away).

At this point, I thought...no problem - I will simply do a restore and start over. The first thing I tried to do was click on the "restore" icon that corresponded to the backed-up database that I wanted to restore. I thought...that was super-simple. However, when I went to look at the products in my store, I was alarmed that the restore did not work correctly. I tried it a couple of times...nothing worked. Then, I right clicked on the .zip restore file (that I wanted to use to restore my site) and downloaded this .zip file so I could see what was in the .zip file. Yikes, found that the .zip file was corrupted. Al (the CubeCart Jedi master) found that the .zip file was corrupted as well. So, I went to my hosting provider's control panel and used the web-based file manager to download the .zip file manually. I double clicked on the .zip file and, bam!, I could see everything inside it. I forwarded the .zip file over to Al and he immediately got my site restored. Finally, all was good.

But I still had the problem of lots of Custom SEO URLs that were gonna give me a headache when I tried to do my 400 item import again. So, I went into the table manually with myPHPadmin and manually deleted all of the Custom SEO URLs that I knew would give me grief because of the "duplicate" problem.

After I got the Custom SEO URL table all cleaned up, the 400 item import worked perfectly.