Trouble Loading Images/Thumbnails on Store Front

turanoh

Though I have no trouble uploading images to my store (through a product's Images tab), I seem to be having difficulty loading these images (and their thumbnails) on the store front. ---> When I click on the image on the product's page, I get the message: "This image cannot be loaded." 

I currently have several other products on my store front with working images (albeit they were uploaded several months ago) but it seems I am unable to associate new images with any products (either existing or new).

I am running CC version 5.1.1 and have considered upgrading to 5.2.2, but am also having trouble backing up. When I try to do so (Admin>Maintenance>Backup) I get the message: Error: PCLZIP_ERR_READ_OPEN_FAIL (-2) : Unable to open archive 'backup/files_5.1.1_19Jun13-203730.zip' in wb mode. (I've deleted old zipped backups on my File Manager, but to no avail.)

I have tried changing Permissions for certain folders through FTP, but perhaps I either haven't changed them properly or I haven't changed the right folders.  (I've also combed through the forums looking for potential solutions to these problems.)

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Welcome turanoh! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

When I click on the image on the product's page, I get the message: "This image cannot be loaded."

But do you get an actual image to click on? And is it only the attempt to view a different image (from the 'gallery') that you get the message?

Thanks for the response. That depends. If it is a new image (uploaded within the last week or so) I am only shown a broken picture file BUT when I roll over the main image for the product, I am shown the zoomed-in version of the correct image ~50% of the time (the other 50% of the time nothing happens). Weird.

Interestingly enough, your second query is what happens to some of the existing products... There a product's main image and the thumbnails are visible, and the error only occurs when I click on the thumbnails.

Product_id 209 has a missing image, '13splash_Part1-11_2copy.138.jpg', not appearing in the Latest Products area.

Product_id 165 has several missing thumbnails: pSPDO1-13210621p275w.138.jpg and others.

So, either there has been random deletions from the /images/cache folder, or perhaps at some time the permissions for that folder has changed and CubeCart can no longer save the re-sized images (new sizes based on the needs of the skin).

So, using the FTP program, check to make sure the folder /images and the folder /images/cache have permissions set to 644.

Ok so my pictures seem to be working. Terrific.

I'm still having trouble backing up though, and I'd like to upgrade to 5.2.2. When I try, I keep getting: Error: PCLZIP_ERR_READ_OPEN_FAIL (-2) : Unable to open archive 'backup/files_5.1.1_20Jun13-141307.zip' in wb mode

Any ideas?

Looking at product #118, I get at the top:

Warning: Could not change cache path (/var/www/domains/store.splashables.com/docs/cart/cache/) in /var/www/domains/store.splashables.com/docs/cart/classes/cache/file.class.php on line 197

So, using the FTP program, check to make sure the folder /cache have permissions set to 644 and the folder /cache/skin have permissions set to 755.

Also, check to make sure the folder /includes have permissions set to 644 and the folder /includes/extra have permissions set to 755.

These are all the folders that need special attention: 'backup/', 'cache/', 'cache/skin/', 'files/', 'images/', 'images/cache/', 'images/logos/', 'images/source/', 'includes/', 'includes/extra/', 'language/'. So, maybe make all of them 755.

Yeah I received that message when I was logging into my CC admin page, but it's no longer there. Can you confirm the same? (for product #118 at least)

Still getting the same error when I attempt a backup though. Thanks for your diligence. 

Please confirm that you checked and, if necessary, made the CHMOD permissions change to the backup and the includes folder.

Then, please answer how many seconds/minutes between clicking Backup and getting the error response.

I have found the statement in the code that has this error.

Please verify with your host that you have available for your site a system-level TEMP folder and that your application can write to it.

Alright so I've been successful in downloading a backup of both my files and my database. Would you recommend that I upgrade to 5.2.2? Or is that just opening a can of worms that I otherwise wouldn't have to deal with? (at least for the time being)

Like what are the benefits of upgrading at this point, other than saving me from upgrading later? And are there any risks of my store being wiped out? Or is that more or less not a threat, now that I have a backup of my database/files.

Thanks again.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

That said, from CC511 to CC522 will give you several bug fixes and additional features. Most likely, from your perspective, upgrading to CC522 won't be a can of worms.

On average, Devellion releases the next version every two months. CC522 was released 23 April 2013. So, on average, Devellion is due to release CC523 shortly. (Realistically, I don't expect to see it until August.)

If you can wait, then wait.