Width of Stores 'Documents' ?

Nik Grey

Could somebody tell me where to look in order to find the width of the sites 'Documents' - I need to use the a document which displays on the homepage to get some info across and I think it would be a lot nicer to use an image in order to draw attention to it.

SO I need to know the width of these documents.

Rather than just tell me, I need to start learning how to find out things like this for myself - Where would I expect to find this info?

.. I'm using the Mican skin.

We suggest using FireFox browser, with the FireBug addon.

Using FireBug, you will be shown a pane of CSS rules that are in effect for the page being displayed. In your case, the page_wrapper div is styled in common.css line 32. It's width is 1116px.

Within page_wrapper, there is the main_body div. and is styled in both the layout.css for the blue variant of Mican, as well as common.css line 133. The width is not specified, so it fills as much of its parent container as possible, but does have a left and right padding of 18px.

Within main_body is the {section}_wrapper div where {section} becomes whatever page is being displayed: home, product, category, document, etc. These wrappers are styled in common.css near the top of the file. They are currently empty.

Within the wrapper is the page_content div. This is the div you are interested in. It is styled in common.css line 208. It has no width, but does have a left and right padding of 210px (keeping the space free for the left and right sidebars).

Then there are miscellaneous stylings, such as common.css line 628, which says any div or paragraph that follows an h2 heading gets an additional left and right padding of 5px.

Doing the math:

1116 - 2x18 - 2x210 - 2x5 = 650 pixels (660 if the image is not in a div or paragraph that follows the h2 heading of your document.

Thanks for the detailed response as ever Brian - I think I follow it.

I'm trying to work out what is degrading the 'Category' image here:

http://nikgrey.com/demo-images/degraded.jpg

At the top is the cat image I selected from within the 'Images' tab (from my selection of uploaded images for the site) in the category edit section - this shows as 'Other Products' at the bottom of my pages.

The image below is the same image, but I added it to the main body of the same category page - as you can see, this second image (placed on the page) is a lot sharper than the same image being used for the 'Category' thumbnail.

I can only Use One image for the thumbnail as CC does shrink it to the size required for the thumbnail BUT as you can see it is no longer sharp - I have the Two images there for comparison.

This image is 650px wide (as per Brian's advice above).

I really must have sharp images where possible due to the nature of the products I am hoping to sell, poor images will reflect badly on everything.

So, How can I get my category images to remain sharp when appearing at full size on the category description page I wonder ?

.. Just noticed a 'Lettering' product is appearing at the bottom of this page as another product in this category - this lettering tool is going to be an ongoing problem.. cant afford to have it made again though so will just have to manage it the best I can.

Lesson learned, always use a developer who knows CC5.

edit: The 'Lettering' had made its self 'Visible' again - I have turned it off again but nothing is being added to the cart :(

I'll answer each issue as I have time...

As for the 'degraded' image (using your term as I am quite comfortable with what I see), please examine the skin's config.xml. Each <image> node will have a 'quality' attribute. Please set each quality attribute to 100 - I believe that would be the equivalent of "no compression", hence as little loss of clarity as possible.

But the Mican skin already has for the category image at 580px a quality of 100. So, the loss in sharpness is because the image is being reduced from 650 to 580.

I would recommend that you use your super-sophisticated photo-editing program to make your own 580px-wide, super-sharp image and save it to the cache directory, following the naming convention: filename-of-source-png-image.580.png

Ah, Brilliant Brian - it's just a case of learning where to look for this info.

Got it :)

I managed to hide that 'Lettering' product showing up by not having it under any parent category ! Because we hid it :) Just not sure what changed so it was visible again.

I think in CC4 and maybe early versions of CC5, you could effectively hide a category by setting it's parent_category_id to a value that has no corresponding category_id (16536, for example, as the likelihood of your store ever reaching a category_id that high is nil to none).