Main.php

Ggib

Welcome Ggib! Glad to see you made it to the fourums.

The editor you are using is telling you that the file you just gave it is "locked".

If you are trying to edit the file using the editor included with your hosting package (cPanel tools?) on the file as it exists on the server, perhaps the CHMOD permissions of the file are not properly set for you to do this.

If you are trying to edit the file on your home computer, after having retrieved the file by FTP, perhaps the FTP program also set the Read-Only flag on the file permissions to match the CHMOD permissions of the file on the server.

So, please let us know if the file is locked because of no permission to "write" a new version.

Thanks so much for replying! I'm completely new to this and am tearing my hair out.

I was trying to edit it using TextEdit ( is this wrong? ) but the file permissions are showing as both read and write. I am using cyber duck to upload as I cannot use my FTP ipswitch on my mac and I am using easyspace to host the site.

From what little I have just now read about TextEdit for the Mac, even though it can edit plain text documents, I am going to strongly suggest you not use it for programming.

Does Easyspace have an account Control Panel? If so, log into it and look around for a text editor. There may also be a means to look at the folders and files in the folders. When you see 'main.php', select it, then look for a link or button to edit it -- all from within your EasySpace Control Panel. This is the easiest way to accomplish your task at your (claimed) skill level.

I will assume that your CyberDuck program downloads and uploads files properly (I usually just set the transfer mode to binary permanently). An improper download may set some flags (read-only, file timestamp in the future, who knows?) on the file that is prohibiting you from being able to edit it.

So, take a look at TextWrangler.

Making changes to the skin will mean one very important consideration -- Smarty, the template engine's, cache.

Smarty will keep copies of rendered templates in a cache, which means if you make a change to the template, Smarty probably won't know about it and use the copy in the cache.

In admin, Store Settings, Advanced tab, disable the cache. Smarty will consistently continue to make fresh copies of the rendered templates, but won't use them.

When you are finished making design changes to the skin, then you can re-enable the the cache.

Come back often -- let us know how you are getting along with CubeCart.