v5.2.16 installation freezes

Ian Gosling

I installed v6 without any problems on my spare domain - everything went really well. Then I found out that the mobile skin doesn't work with v6.

So i downloaded v5.2.16 to install on my main domain - and it won't install. I put in the database settings, store settings and administrator profile but when I pressed confirm I got a blank page with the browser address bar reading  http://www.v**********k.com/setup/index.php. I thought the php file might have been corrupted so I replaced it with a fresh copy but I still got stuck at the same point.

Since I managed to install v6 without any problems I am loathe to pay the support & management fees just to get someone to install for me.

I have tried installing from a PC and a laptop with the same result both times

Can anyone help?

Edited by Ian Gosling

Welcome Ian Gosling! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

Regarding CC6: installing any of the other skins (Kurouto, Mican, etc, and then Mobile) will allow the Mobile skin to be put into play if CubeCart detects a mobile device is making page requests. CubeCart will switch off the main skin (Kurouto, Mican, etc) and deliver pages using the Mobile skin.

When CC6 is using the Foundation skin (shipped with CC6), CubeCart knows this skin to be "responsive", and disallows the use of a separate mobile skin (Mobile, for example). That is, when using Foundation, and the Foundation javascript is running on the device's browser, that device's browser informs the Foundation javascript of the device's "viewport" horizontal width.

The javascript then makes a some adjustments to the CSS rules defining how the page is to display. If a wide browser window (desktop), the "large" layout is used. If a smaller browser window (netbook), the "medium" layout is used. If a small browser window (iPad, Samsung, etc), the "small" layout is used.

Each layout is optimized to show what is needed in a particular way for each size device.

Thus, there is no need for a distinct and separate Mobile skin because Foundation will show that layout natively.

Regarding CC5216: I am not sure downgrading is supported. The installer for CC6 has patches that will upgrade a CC5 database schema to a CC6 schema, if upgrading from CC5. There is only a lot of manual effort to downgrade a CC6 schema to a CC5 schema.

But if you install CC6, then wipe the folders of that installation and FTP CC5 in its place, you will be offered only to create a new database -- yes, you can keep the CC6 schema by specifying a table prefix for the CC5 installation. The CC6 schema and CC5 schema will co-exist as a definitely-named set of tables in the same database.

I have not tried to do what you describe, so I cannot say exactly what scenario caused the blank page.

In conclusion, try the Foundation skin. Alternatively, install any of the non-responsive skins available from the Marketplace and then also install the Mobile skin, if that is your want.

Installing from a laptop or desktop makes no difference -- you are only viewing web pages and posting form values. Aside from javascript crashing your browser, the fault lies on the server running PHP where CubeCart is installed.