G Mail Customer notifications from Cubecart 6 going to spam folder

northwestjig

Hey RR. I noticed that your emails don't include a "From" email address. This means that Google is putting them in my Spam bucket.

You should take a look into adding a "From:" field so that doesn't happen.

I have gone into Admin/Store Settings/Advanced/  E Mail Section:

Sending Method:  PHP Mail

Senders Name: Blank

Sender's E Mail Address: Blank

Outgoing SMTP Host: Blank

Out SMTP (default 25)

Use SMTP Auth: No

SMTP Username: blank

Smtp Password: Blank

Any help from someone would be appreciated.

I am used to SMTP with my personal e-mail account but wasn't sure those were the setting to use for my store.

RR

- CC

There is a "From" field - it is Senders email address.  Authenticated SMTP is also a considerably better and more reliable method of sending emails than phpMail (so much so I would recommend removing phpMail from CubeCart and on our shared hosting servers we ONLY allow SMTP) and should always be used in which case you should configure each one of those fields.

Ian

Havenswift Hosting:

The first line of my posting was the comment from one of my clients stating the lack of a "from" in the canned e-mail for orders was causing difficulties with his G Mail account.

I use SMTP for all my personal e-mails and have set up accounts using those requirements for SMTP Host, SMTP Port , Authentication/ and SMTP user name.

I typically use port "110" versus the (Default 25) showing in Advanced Setting  block of cubecart advanced.

So you are recommending I pass on the old PHP mail that my site has been using and set up a full SMTP account with authentication.

Any comment s on my Port Question.

10 minutes ago, northwestjig said:

I typically use port "110" versus the (Default 25) showing in Advanced Setting  block of cubecart advanced.

So you are recommending I pass on the old PHP mail that my site has been using and set up a full SMTP account with authentication.

Any comment s on my Port Question.

Port 110 is almost always used for insecure incoming POP email servers and so cannot be used for outgoing SMTP connections. Standard setup on 99.99% of servers is port 25 (and/or port 26 sometimes) for insecure outgoing and port 465 for secure outgoing connections which is what I would always recommend.

Yes, I would always recommend never using the phpMail sending method - insecure, unreliable, unauthenticated - sending via authenticated SMTP will stop most valid emails from being put into junk by the receiver.  As I said, we don't even allow emails to be sent via phpMail on every one of our shared hosting servers !

Ian

@northwestjig, CubeCart uses the phpMailer library (found in the /classes/ folder) to manage the details for sending by PHP's mail() functionality (as well as managing the details for sending by SMTP).

Technically, PHP's mail() functionality does not require the script to include a From: address. In PHP's PHP.INI file, everything needed for PHP's mail() functions are declared, including the From: address, and port. If not specified, From: will be blank and port is 25.

But because phpMailer handles this, I believe it will use the "Sender's Email Address" if provided. I do not know 100% if phpMailer will abort the sending if there is no From: value supplied by the script. I do not know if phpMailer will go looking for an ini_setting for mail()'s default From: sender.

So, if your hosting provider does provide a "Mail Transport Agent" for PHP's mail() functions to connect to, and you want to use it, at least make sure there is a "Sender's Email Address" in the Email Settings page, or a configuration declaration in your PHP.INI file.