Run Shop From DVD

DarwinUK

Hello

Heres what MIGHT be a silly question, and I probably will answer it myself but here goes.

I have a website at www.elvis-online.co.uk and originally created a shopfront using Smartstore.biz. Smartstore created static html pages.

One of the products I am selling in my shopfront is an Elvis Presley Omnipedia dvd. If you go to my site and click on "DVD Omnipedia" it will tell you everything. But the basic idea is static web pages, over 8200, running from a DVD, to include Movies and Music. This is based on EPE giving permission. But my smartstore shop ran from DVD as it was static htm pages.

Now........ my new, improved, even better shopfront created with cubecart is PHP (correct me if Im wrong).

Now if I wanted to run the site from my HDD, Id have to install mysql and setup a web server, which Im just not smart enough to wanna go learn. Which is daft as I am self taught on everything I know about computers, linux, webpage design, installing cubecart etc. But is there an easy way to get my cubecart shopfront to run on my HDD, and also a DVD ?

Thanks

Phillip

DVD is read only, HDD is read and write. CC will need to read and write data to the HDD so you can't use a DVD.

the DB server (MySQL) is where the raw "data" gets stored.

So, flipping this around, why would you want to run it from a DVD? (Assuming DVD is meaning, a movie/data DVD rather than some other abbreviation)

also, why not sign up with a hosting company, it will save you a LOT of time and money and will provide all the underlying infrastructure you may require :)

Check out Havenswift Hosting

Hello Noodleman

Part of my original smartstore shop had sections for selling Linux Distros, Tuition, software installs, virus/malware removals etc. I have these listed on my new site.

So I wanted the "New" shop on the DVD, people could read a bio about me, see what PC services I offered and purchase online. The basic principle of the DVD is aimed at people with no broadband, sloooooow speeds, capped etc.

Thanks

Phillip

You can still do what you want, but you may lose some of the dynamic content. You could save an offline copy of your store. That would be static HTML files in line with what you've mentioned then save those onto a pen drive or DVD (Any device really).

You can save sties within your browser, simply using "save as", although this may only get you partially towards your goal.