Freight charges by Manufacturer

peterp

Hi All,

I have a client who  has multiple manufacturers and when his customers order products he would like the system to calculate the shipping costs based on a manufacturers shipping charges by line item on their order and then accumulate into one shipping charge. We are currently using the Australia Post extension for the shipping that he does from his premises. I guess this is like a drop shipment process does anybody know whether this has been done and if so please could you direct me to where I can use it.

Best Regards,

Peterp

So, for any given item, there will be a manufacturer assigned to it. And for any specific manufacturer, each and every item associated with it will have the same shipping charge per item. There won't be a case where Item A needs to be shipped at 10.00 while Item B needs to be shipped at 15.00?

Therefore, if a product manufacturer can be considered as a product category, then we can create hidden categories and use Shipping Per Category to tally a total cost.

Per Category will calculate X 'per item' for each category, then sum those, then add the highest cost 'per shipment' from the various categories, for a total. (If the 'per shipment' needs to be distinct for each category, as would be the case for drop-shipments, that can be figured out.)

See:

https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/shipping-methods/per-category

There is also:

https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/shipping-methods/multi-level-shipping-by-quantity-product-category-level

Hi Brian,

I have tried the method shipping-methods category the first suggestion unfortunately it does calculate the shipping value for the manufacturer. I checked an double checked the setup and all seems correct. What happens is that the order sees the fact there is a category/manufacturer shipping setup  as it displays the shipping name but the value is set to zero whereas the setup has it setup to have a valid value.

I must be missing something

Hope you can help otherwise I will have to try the second option.

Best Regards,

Peterp

As an experiment, create a new category named FooBarCo. The category FooBarCo will have Status checked and Visible unchecked. On the Shipping tab, enter a Per Item shipping charge. Save.

Choose a product and show its Edit screen. On the Categories tab, set as Primary FooBarCo and set as Additional the product's original category (so that it still shows up when viewing that category). Save.

Have CubeCart clear its internal cache.

On the storefront, place that product in the shopping cart and then View Basket or Checkout.

You should see the shipping charge (By Category) in the Select your shipping method: drop-down.

hi Brian,

Thanks for this solution and it does work just as you suggested unfortunately the the order could have products on it that are shipped with a standard shipping company.

For example product 1 and product 2 are shipped using the by category method but product 3 is using a default shipping company as is product 4.

What I think I need to do is to have the order total the different shipping charges and just display the total in the final order.

Can we make this solution do this or is this beyond it's capabilities and if so do you have any other suggestions.

Thankyou very much for you help and advice.

Best Regards,

Peterp

Hi Brian,

I have just tried the free version of the shipping by category and input a product 1 that had a category which would attract a different charge from product 2 which is in a default category and found that the final shipping charge was the charge as selected for the whole order, there was no option to select what shipping charge goes with what product.

So have I failed to setup something that will allow the shipping charges to be product/category specific.

Sorry for the confusion,

Best Regards,

Peterp