Category as a Search result

Lastwolf

Bit of a strange one.

I have a compliance request that when people search a certain keyword that the catefory appear as a result, it's like a mini brand store.

I setup the base category "mystore.com/brand" and all the info is in there fine but using the search feature all products just appear as one would expect, is it possible for it to also search the categories for the keyword and display it as the first result ?

Recent versions allow for the product's manufacturer to be one of the terms to search on.

A code snippet could include the category table looking for keywords.

As for the resulting display, is the actual category going to appear in the list looking like a product panel, or simply that category's products will be listed?

Yeah, if there result of the search was some clickable product panel I could probably work with that.

I guess the best way to describe it would be;

Current behaviour;

Search query "BrandX"

----

533 Products found matching "Brand X" 

BrandX product1,  BrandX product2. BrandX product3, ....

Ideal behaviour;

Search query "BrandX"

------

Brand X Category! Banner Click here for more!

533 Products found matching "Brand X" 

BrandX product1,  BrandX product2. BrandX product3, ....

Edited by Lastwolf

A code snippet has been written to search category names and descriptions for keywords. Results are sent to the View Category template (used to show search results).

There are edits to the template to show these results.

Note that searching categories and searching products are connected only by the collection of keywords used to perform the search. That is to say, searching on "subwoofer valley jupiter" might find categories with these words in the name or description, and separately also find products with these words in the name, code, or description -- regardless if the products and categories have any relation to each other.

There are additional edits to core code that have adjusted how searching product names, codes, and descriptions is performed. The edits fixes what I consider bugs and unreasonable restrictions. These edits will be proposed to the programmers in an issue posted to the GitHub.

If you are interested in experimenting with this project, please send a PM with your email address.