I'd like to report a bug but I cant post to the bug reporting group

So what good is signing up to the forum when you cant even post to the group you signed up to post in?

Perhaps someone here can explain why the search is so bad in CubeCart?

I sell CD's and have probably 20 listings with the word "Man" in the title, I do a search for that word and get some other lone irrelevant CD pop up in the results that has nothing to do with the word man in the title. Yet Ii can search all the other title names no problem, its like CubeCart don't like the word "Man"

There are three phases to CubeCart's search function (four for CC650+). For short words, the last two phases will be the only ones to find that one short word: the whole word man, or the part of the word commander. (The first phase(s) will not look for a word with less than four letters.)

CubeCart's search will look at the product's Name (Title), the Product Code, and the product's description.

Therefore, if the last phase was the phase that actually found something, the irrelevant product shown might have had a word with the search term as part of it contained in its description.

There was another conversation on the forums asking if it is possible to have CubeCart ignore looking at the product description for the search term. That can be done, but would require a code edit.

As for the strange missing products that have "man" in the Name (or Title), perhaps we can explore why that is happening.

• Thanks 1

Hi yeah I thought that might have been an issue so I added the word man in the description as well, but still not one product was displayed, the solitary product that keeps popping up has the word man at the end of the listing in the description. So the search is being rather selective picking only one product and leaving 20 others all with the word man. 

You have a look here https://www.kippertone.com and try Man in the search bar, then try Led, both three letter words and you will see Led works fine. I have approx 20 products with Man in the title and description

Let's start by letting us know the exact version of CubeCart you are running. This can be found in admin, Dashboard, Store Overview tab.

Let us know your skill at editing code files.

There is a situation in CubeCart (bug has been reported), that involves the name of the manufacturer.

As an experiment, in admin, Manufacturers, note that there is a manufacturer named "BMG Rights Management (UK) Ltd".

This is the manufacturer for "Kula Shaker - K". Is there any other product that has this manufacturer?

The experiment: change the name of this manufacturer to "BMG (UK) Ltd". (After saving the change, have CubeCart clear its internal cache (the blinking orange button seen at the upper-right corner of the page).

Then try searching on "man".

Yeah that kinda fixed it, now it lists everything with man in the description before man in the title but I guess I'll have to live with that, at least I know what to look out for if it happens again, thanks for your help, much appreciated

"it lists everything with man in the description before man in the title"

Interesting. I will need to track down why that might be.

On the results page, the Sort By selector has "Name (A-Z)" selected?

In admin, Store Settings, Layout tab, "Product List Sorting" is set to what? (Although I am not sure if search results honors this sort ordering.)

Ok, so regardless of where "man" was found, the listing is in Name A-Z (Title) order.

There would need to be quite a bit of code edits if the search results listing was to be sorted first by "Found-in-Name", then "Found-in-Code", then "Found-in-Description".

Not impossible, but somewhat complicated.

You would have thought that would have been a drop down menu choice in Store Settings, also a choice to rename "Manufacturers" would have been quite handy too. I mean like my store I would have created "Label" or a bookstore would create "Authors" etc what file would need the edits?

My mention above about the manufacturers was that CubeCart (unfortunately) looks in the manufacturer's actual Name for the submitted keyword -- not the product's property designation 'manufacturer'. Or maybe I misunderstood your comment.

But, for your store (music albums), you wish to change "Manufacturer" to "Label".

I admin, Languages, click the Edit icon of the language you wish to change.

On the next page shown, in the "Search this language" box, enter 'Manufacturer' and click the Go button next to it.

The returned list has links in the Key column that will take you to an editing page where you can enter a new phrase for that key. (Hint: Right-click on the link and select Open in new tab. That way, it's easy going back to the first browser tab to make more edits on new tabs.)

You will need to click with your mouse on the 'key' word to make the text entry box editable. (It's necessary to do it this way.)

After entering a new phrase in the text edit box, click Save.

After making the desired edits, have CubeCart clear its internal cache (the blinking orange button at the top-right corner).

Changed phrases are databased, and so will survive upgrades.

Edited by bsmither