Copying Products Between Stores

huggettm

Quick answer, yes. It is a little more difficult than that however, as it depends on if you want to copy some or all and if you want them to be in the same categories on both stores.

To copy all products into the same categories, you need to export your database files from the current store (store a) and import them into the store you want to copy them into (store :w00t:. Then you also need to copy the images and thumbnails from store a to store b. It gets trickier if you want to put them in different categories since you would need to edit the exported file changing the category before you import them.

Personally, I just end up re-inputing them into store b from scratch as this is quicker to me. But it's a matter of preferences plus i type over 200 wpm so... lol

phpmyadmin is included in most hosting accounts - login thru your cpanel or other hosting companies control panel for your account and you should find it somewhere in the mysql database section.

I believe there has been instructions given elsewhere in the forums about exporting/backing up your database, so that would be a good place to start.

• 2 weeks later...

when i try to import the database i get the message

Error

SQL query:

--

-- Database: `naught_ccrt1`

--

CREATE DATABASE `naught_ccrt1` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

MySQL said:

#1044 - Access denied for user 'naught2'@'localhost' to database 'naught_ccrt1'

Anyone had this/know how i allow it?

Thanks

CREATE DATABASE `naught_ccrt1` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

MySQL said:

#1044 - Access denied for user 'naught2'@'localhost' to database 'naught_ccrt1'

If you are on a hosted site, perhaps only your host (through your hosted site's control panel) can create a database. And the name of the database is usually the login name you've given to access it. But, once the database has been created and a user assigned (again, perhaps the user is automatically assigned), all you need are the parts of the backup SQL that creates the actual tables.

That's how I see it.

Then there's the task, as you mentioned, of importing objects from one database to another. You should realize that the backup SQL might have DROP TABLES before restoring the data. Watch for that.

Then there's the idea that inventory has ProductID as auto-increment, but is that how the restore SQL is set to restore it.

It's only the Inventory you are copying over, not any of the other tables?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest foridea

You would have to copy over the option tables too as well as the idx tables and category tables. And of course don't forget to copy all the images and thumbnails.

thanks the knowledge became useful