Error Log Warning - Register Globals Enabled

Dirty Butter

[01-Jun-2012 02:20:44] PHP Warning: register_globals are enabled. It is highly recommended that you disable this in your PHP configuration, as it is a large security hole, and may wreak havoc. in /home/estates/public_html/classes/debug.class.php on line 156

Is this something I can disable myself, or is it something I need to get my host to handle? I'm on PHP 5.2.17 - is that the problem?

The default value for the PHP directive register_globals went from ON to OFF in PHP 4.2.0. This PHP feature has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0 and REMOVED as of PHP 5.4.0.

This setting is changeable via: PHP_INI_PERDIR

That is, you can have a php.ini file in your root directory and for it's contents have:

register_globals = Off

Please note that register_globals cannot be set at runtime ( ini_set()). Although, you can use .htaccess if your host allows it. An example .htaccess entry: php_flag register_globals off.

Hosting providers should know about the security ramifications of not well-securely written code with this set to on. Because this setting is deprecated and removed in the latest versions of PHP, such action indicates that setting it to off is the correct setting for all situations.

ini.php gave this error and would not load.

Site error: the file /home/estates/public_html/index_enc_ion.php requires the ionCube PHP Loader ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so to be installed by the site administrator.

.htaccess gave this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. Apache Server at dirtybutterestates.com Port 80

Well.

Your host has probably disallowed php_flag statements n the .htaccess file. Too bad about that.

Assuming that contacting your hosting provider will get you no joy (they may say that they need to keep this setting on so as to not break evryone else's script on that shared server), we still need to get a custom php.ini file in the root folder of your store.

See this article:

http://forums.hostga...ost.php?p=48688

and follow the suggestions in that script that you will run, then remove.

The above is from information found here:

http://www.washingto...ng/php-ini.html

In it, we learn that the personal php.ini file will be used, if found, and then that's it!

So a personal php.ini file is used in-lieu of, instead of overwriting, master php.ini settings (in which the statements to load ionCube are found). (And which was never my understanding about php.ini files.)

Thank you, Bsmither. Running a script I don't understand well enough to keep from making a mistake could be disastrous. I'll get someone to do this for me and let you know how it goes. I really appreciate the time you give to helping everyone!!