Resolved - Site is a mess on IE

Ms Holly

My site is an absolute mess on IE7 and above. I have been told it isn't necessarily my skin and that I should upgrade. I have upgraded to 5.1.1 but it is still a big mess.

The site sits to the side and products don't show up.

notanotherbabyshop (.com.au) is the site if you would like to take a look.

Any thoughts on how to fix this as I am losing business.

The best guess I have is that someone has been editing the /templates/main.php file with an editor that is not getting the UTF-8 encoding correct. (At least, I've not seen Firebug show a messed-up source like this site does.)

I see other issues with this skin code. Specifically, whatever file has the <div class="category_product"> line then starts a <form> block, has the problem of closing the <div> block before closing the <form> block.

Try a stock skin and let us know if the layout looks better.

ohh good thinking. So Ive changed the skin and it fixes some problems but not others so I guess that means that some of the issues are to do with the skin

The site still sits over at the side rather than in the middle.

but at least now you appear to be able to buy products.

mind you it looks hideous now ;-) I guess I should go back and look at my skin files to see if I can see what has been changed as the skin use to work very nicely...to many hands in the file perhaps.

I see you switched to the Mican skin.

Important! Has main.php been edited at all? If so, do you have any skin that is still as uploaded from the CubeCart distribution package?

Because I see the same high-byte characters in the source code that precede <!DOCTYPE that I saw in the custom skin. The high-bytes are: EF BB BF, which are the UTF-8 representation of the Byte Order Mark (BOM). Byte order has no meaning in UTF-8, so its use in UTF-8 only signals that the following text is encoded in UTF-8. But this actually causes problems with CubeCart.

Any editing of the files must be done using a programmer's text editor that has the ability to save a file with the BOM suppressed. I recommend NotePad++ (as opposed to Notepad) as a free editor, UltraEdit as a very powerful editor, and I have no idea what to suggest for Steve Jobs' creations.

You said that Mican has not changed - has not been edited.

Then there is another file that is not a skin file that has the BOM.That file will be tricky to find!

PHP considers anything not enclosed in <?php ?> code blocks to be delivered to the browser. So, even a PHP file of instructions can have:

BOM<?php

...code ...

?>

and this may cause problems. (Depends if the HTML protocol 'response headers' have already been sent.)

Anyway, /skins/YOUR_SKIN/templates/main.php is the overall layout structure of the store's web pages.

Oh boy thanks for that I have someone looking at it now but it seems its not going to be easy to fix I might have to start again.

a question re the bom - should I be searching for

0xef, 0xbb, 0xbf or could it look like anything?