Resolved - Controlling Latest Products Order

Ben224

Hi,

Is there a way of controlling the order in which the latest products are displayed on the homepage via admin, I cant find anything?

I am reluctant to mess with the SQL database and looking for an easy way out.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Thanks for the reply,

I am running V5.1.1. I cant rationalize the order as its not a display by option description or category. I simply want to be able to have what I would consider my best stock feature on the front page purely for overall impact.

Sounds like I am going to have to go into the SQL and solve this manually. Are you able to give any advise on how best to achieve this?

Many thanks

In MySQL, if a specific ordering of the results of a query is not requested, then generally the order the results come back in is chronologically. That is, the order the records come out is the order the records went in. (There is a bit of discussion as to what happens to the actual MySQL data file when records are deleted and then with what and when those gaps are filled.)

But CC511, specifically, requests the ordering to be by 'date_added DESC' (the latest products -- get it? -- latest) and if there is a tie, then by the 'product_id DESC' (the higher the id, the later it was added to the database).

If you want instead of the latest products, but rather a group of the most looked-at products ('popularity'), or a group of the most purchased (a count from order_inventory table), or a group of the latest administratively updated ('last_updated'), or by some other ordering, and to be able to make this decision from the admin screens, we will need to build a mod.

Thanks for the response,

I think in my case having a mod for this would allow greater control over what is showing when someone lands on my homepage. I understand that the latest products functionality is designed to do exactly what its heading suggests but there are certainly scenarios where an item although the most recent addition to your store is not necessarily the item you most want to show on your store front if that makes sense. If there were some way of having an option to exclude any given item from appearing in the latest products that would be ideal.

Many thanks