Customer ID

mitchellds

V: Cubecart 5.1.4 clean

I am pretty sure that when a new customer registers, the CubeCart system assigns a unique customer ID. The actual term might not be "customer ID" but I think you get my drift...

How can I get that unique customer ID to show up in my list of customers?

The customer_id may satisfy your curiosity, but outside of CubeCart it has very little relevance.

In your admin Customer List screen, hover the mouse cursor over the name or the trash bin for that customer. Your browser should show in the status bar (or somewhere) the link that if actually clicked on would take you there. And, of course, once you are viewing the details of that customer, the customer_id is showing in the browser's address bar.

I have not seen anywhere in the code that CubeCart would use anything other than 'customer_id' as the key to an array.

Do you want to edit the admin screen to actually absolutely show this?

OK, I performed the 'hover' maneuver and I now know that a customer_id actually exists. Customers on my site submit special requests for particular items. I want to be able to post the status of all of the current special requests (in a document, native to CubeCart 5), but do so in an anonymous manner (i.e. via customer ID). Customers would need to know what their Customer ID is in order to look through the list and determine the status of their special order.

Perhaps there is a smarter way to do this that is native to the platform?

These requests, they are made outside the realm of Cubecart?

Or can it happen this way?

* You give each item a Textarea-type option. This allows the customer to add whatever they want to the product. They could use this to spell-out their special request.

* Then they add it to their cart.

* When finished shopping, they go through checkout and get to the place where they make payment. But that's where they just quit.

* The order is Pending and will show up in their Accounts, Order History page.

* When Viewing the Details of an order, there will be the status of their special request (as new code to the View Order page).

But, you mention you want all special requests to be listed, regardless of customer? So that other customers can say, "Oh! Cool! I want that, too!"

I was wondering, too, it you intentionally wanted the whole list to be public. If not, creating an order with a text area that would be Pending makes good sense. Could you elaborate with a few examples of what customers might request? Would this be a request added to something they order from stock, or a request that becomes the only thing they order from you?

Thanks for the awesome ideas!

OK, I think the best way to handle this is to create a pending order for a customer who wants to place a special order.

But, you mention you want all special requests to be listed, regardless of customer? So that other customers can say, "Oh! Cool! I want that, too!"

You got it. That is exactly what I am trying to achieve!

I wonder if it would be possible to create a front end page with a table with columns for Customer ID - Special Order Request - Status - something like the code in the Sales Report? Would be great it they could be sorted, too. If so, this part sounds like it's going way beyond the core product. It may be that this discussion needs to move to the 3rd party forum - Bsmither will be the best judge of that.

Ok, so if you want a page with all special requests to be viewable, so that you get the "Me, too!" factor, then perhaps we're talking about a very narrowly focused blog-type system.

And surely (don't call me 'Shirley') the customer will recognize his/her own request without benefit of a code number.

So, a blog-type system.... Maybe these will be of interest:

Site Testimonials -- http://www.cubecartforums.org/index.php?showtopic=16326

Disqus Comments Integration -- http://www.cubecartforums.org/index.php?showtopic=16528

Site News -- http://www.cubecartforums.org/index.php?showtopic=16779