Resolved - checkout - gateway Error by templatecompilerbase?

Hey there,

Trying to edit layout of content.checkout.php and content.checkout.confirm.php templates seems to have messed up the checkout process. I keep getting blank page ...

[Exception] /home/tekstko97/domains/nieuwematrassen.nl/public_html/includes/lib/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatecompilerbase.php:627 - Syntax Error in template "51cd3e8b118f83ff2f56ebf58d7ecdde0805b2e1" on line 15 "{/if}<br />" unexpected closing tag

even after putting back the original templates.

Does somebody know where to find and check this "51cd3e8b118f83ff2f56ebf58d7ecdde0805b2e1" temporarily?created? template to see where these tags come from and evt. correct the source files...

Any help on this???

Welcome fredo! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

If you can get to the admin side of things, go to the Maintenance link, Rebuild tab, check the Clear Cache box and click Submit. This will empty out all "compiled" display screens.

Then, in Store Settings, Advanced tab, set to Disabled the option to Enable Caching. Click Save. This will stop Smarty from caching the compiled displays. You won't notice the difference. Once you are satisfied with the edits you are making to the templates, you can turn Caching back on.

Thanks bsmither!

Did as you said (I had caching disabled already ), but no result. Still de exception-blank-screen on loading gateway ( '_a' => 'gateway' ).. The debug-screen comes with the exception mentioned before . Really hope to solve this. Made 5/6 re-installs and klones. For a short while checkout makes it to the end (simple print-receipt), but then after a few orders (again) this error that seems to be contagaous because it also appears in the klone???

Wherefrom cometh those {/if}<br />, why can I not just find that file and delete these tags?

So many questions... Thanks for any effort...

My next suggestion may be very insulting, but this has happened before...

Are you sure you are accessing the correct store? How many store installations do you have?

Try this, Enable caching, work your way through the store until you get that error message, then look in the /cache and /cache/skin folder for a filename with the 'hash' code. We need to know which template file Smarty has its argument with. The cached filename should also include the name of the actual template used.

I see what you mean. I installed 3 stores (on 3 different domains - same account) 1 of which is a klone of the main store. So I could experiment with layout etc. without risqing the main store. Indeed in the beginning I sometimes confused shops, but having learnt from that I diffentiated each one from the others... Now no more mistakes of that kind.

I will follow your instructions. Hope indeed to get that file and find a cure... Will be back!

I tried several times, a bunch of files with (long) hash names, but none alike the exception, or even starting with the same characters in any cachefolder- Is there a hidden cache somewhere, or where is that file??? Seems not to exist, yet it causes syntax errors???

I'm afraid I have to (sigh) re-install again and forget about any (layout) changes in the checkout process.

Do you know about documented and working layout changes in checkout and checkout.confirm like size and required length etc of input fields, skip state field a.s.o.?

I could be terribly wrong, but I have a feeling the problem lies in your edited template file. You really need to check that every closing {/if} has an opening {if} - and "if" they do, look for html errors that may be causing an opening if to be ignored or improperly parsed. And that is only one of several scenarios that could wrong with html side of things . . .

You state that the problem persisted when you switched to a stock skin . . . are you absolutely certain this is true? No cache in play back at that time? Also, I assume you have a clean store installation somewhere with NO edits? Does the same stock skin have problems with repeated tests in an unedited store? Also, when you had the problem appearing with a stock unedited skin . . . was this the skin that you based the earlier edits on? Did the problem persist with ALL stock skins?

Just feels to me like a problem with your html edits, or perhaps with the particular stock skin you used for editing.

Thanks markscarts. Think you are right: Problem starts after I made minor(?) html-layout changes in skin templatefiles. Once occurred, the error persists even after claering cache and via DirectAdmin copy-ing back the original templatefiles (from a clean istall). My changes to templatefiles seem to have caused permanent changes deeper on??? Also changing skin to korouto or mican doesn't solve it: keep getting the same error. New install etc. and no-changing wse on checkout-templates.

I made printouts of the checkout-templates, marked & checked all "if" and "/if" 's... no misfits.

OK! Looks like I found out...

In NL we don't use state/provincie in our addressing, so I deleted them in the last shop version - just clearing things up & not realizing...

Well well, checkout gets really confused finding no States. I found out comparing the different databases and learnt a lot!

Very nice folks and thanks bsmither & markscarts for putting me in possible directions.

How do I mark this topic as resolved?