USPS Shipping to United Kingdom vs Great Britain

Dirty Butter

We ship by USPS, and they do NOT recognize UK as the country. I have to change it to Great Britain on the postage form. Would it be OK to change the name from United Kingdom to Great Britain in the Admin/Countries tab, so the customer's choice when creating their address would be Great Britain? Would that mess up the Zones currently under the UK in the list? Any unintended consequences?

Any suggestions??

"I have to change it to Great Britain on the postage form."

Interesting. The USPS shipping module does change the name from United Kingdom to Great Britain in its shipping cost query. But records the ISO Number Code (numcode) in the Order Summary database record. So, whatever you decide to call the country with ISO Number Code 826, that's up to you. The question is, will the United Kingdom accept "Great Britain" as an acceptable postal service moniker throughout its kingdom? Would the Scottish be Ok with that?

The code that prints the shipping label should be fixed.

"Would it be OK to change the name from United Kingdom to Great Britain in the Admin/Countries tab, so the customer's choice when creating their address would be Great Britain?"

There is no provision to make such a change within CubeCart. The way the cities/counties/zones table relates to the countries table is by the country table's `id` column - not its `numcode` column. So, by adding Great Britain (826) then deleting United Kingdom (826), will still break the zone-country relationship.

"Would that mess up the Zones currently under the UK in the list?"

You will need to access the database directly to change "United Kingdom" to "Great Britain". Coincidentally, the ISO abbreviation is "GB", so no need to change that.

"Any unintended consequences?"

I have come to learn that CC4 (sometimes?) stored the country name in its order summary table, or (sometimes?) by the country_id table's index value. I do not know if the country column was updated during any upgrade process from CC4 to CC5. I do know there is code that tests if the contents of the country column is numeric or text, and if text, will (might?) query for the numcode based on what the text says. So, if you change the country name to something that did not exist when a CC4 order was placed, CC5 might not be able to properly show CC4's order summary's country. (Neither will CC4, for that matter.)

I think I understand you correctly that it can be done, but would offend some in the UK to do it. As for the code that prints the shipping label - it's cut and paste into Dazzle. It would be nice to have an automatic connection between the programs that would take care of such things, but for now I'll just keep making the change manually.