Adding company name on registration page

SimChris

Hey party people....

any tip on adding the company name on the customer registration page?

Couple of people have started putting in their company name in the first name/last name boxes as it's not clear where they put in the company name, since missing on the registration page ...

Now that we're asking folks to register FIRST, it seems like it would be a good idea.

Presumably I could copy the company field from the checkout page to the registration page, but anybody elsedone this?

Doing forum search on topic comes up with nothing, hence the post.

Thanks, folks!

• 3 weeks later...

The work I did on this was back in November 2012. There have been a number of versions since then, and I see code (haven't looked everywhere, though) in CC521 that allows for the entry of a Company Name in the address book, the same address book where a customer provides a billing and delivery address. Even the "in-stream" address block a "ghost" customer (one who chooses to not create an account) fills out during checkout looks like it asks for a Company Name.

Am I wrong on this?

Guest jleonardusa

Hi bsmither,

Thanks for the reply.

There is an option for entering a company name in the address book, but there is none at the registration page, and there is no way to make it a required field either. 

We recently started selling (as a wholesaler) to other companies, and not only do we now require the company name as a required field, but also the ability to add another field to submit their EIN or Tax ID number to confirm they are in fact a business.

I see the {$DATA.company_name} field in the content.addressbook.php, but obviously dropping that into content.register.php without validating and processing the data in the form will not add the data to the database. Can you tell me which file do I edit in order to have the variables passed and validated? I am probably going to just use the {$DATA.mobile} and change the language to create the EIN field rather than try to add another one to the mix.

One other question - is there any way to have certain fields be required (or just visible) depending on the type of group membership a customer is assigned? ie. When a person signs up and I assign them as a wholesale customer, could they then automatically be required fill a particular field out (the same EIN field I mentioned earlier)? Or another way would be if there was an option on the registration page that asks them if they are looking to be a wholesale customer, which if selected would then reveal the 2 additional fields which would then be required to be filled out (Company Name and EIN number).

If you can help with this or know of any mod out there that can do something like this I would greatly appreciate being sent in the right direction. I've not found anything yet.

*****EDIT: Somehow missed the mod by cubehelper to add custom reg fields. Would still be nice if it the fields could be invisible until they selected an option to be a wholesaler.

We can work together on this as the person I was helping earlier wanted almost exactly the same thing: a Kentucky Resale Number entry field, and a Company Name field on the first Registration page -- in addition to the Address Book page (which CC521 has).

The fact that was realized was that, even though it is the same company, the Company Name may change for each delivery address. (I have no examples to illustrate my point.)

Send me a PM with your email address.