Questions about Addon Domains

I'm in the process of moving my domains off of a Reseller's account to my own Business account, but staying with the same hosting company. They have transferred the files and database for dirtybutterestates.com to my dirtybutter.com domain as an Addon Domain. The DNS transfer has not yet been done, and I have the site offline until all is working properly.

They gave me a way to check out the new site before the DNS is propagated (formatted like http://12.23.345.67/~username/), and the homepage looks perfect. But none of the links work - they all 404, even though the links are formed correctly in the before propagation format. The includes file has been changed to reflect the new database.

So I have two main questions:

When I tried to go to the admin screen for the new site I get the message that the license key doesn't match the domain. The world "sees" the Addon domain as dirtybutterestates,com once everything is transferred and working properly, but it looks like I need to get Devillion to change the CC license to dirtybutter.com. Is that correct? Or is it just because I'm using this strange looking "before propagation" url? Is there a way around this if it's temporary?

Shouldn't I be able to navigate the site as long as I use the before propagation format for any page in the site? Since I can't, is there something else besides changing the includes file that may need to be done to fix it?

404 Errors mean the Web Server could not find the page. That means in the .htaccess file, the ReWrite statements are not working.

I'm not sure what "Addon domain" means respective to the class of hosted account you are subscribed to. But, yes, I think you will need to visit your "Control Panel" at CubeCart.com to change the domain name that the license points to. I'm not sure, but you may need to delete the 'license' file that CubeCart creates and stores on your site, so that CubeCart will be forced to query for current license information and rebuild the license file. This includes the interim IP-Address-based method of accessing your site.

Relieved to see you, Bsmither. Thanks for the reply. Since I can't get into admin until Devillion processes my request for the domain change (what I figured, but hoped I wouldn't have to do) - can I at least test the site by modifying the .htaccess file in some way?

This is the same file as originally on the separate domain dirtybutterestates.com:

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
 suPHP_ConfigPath /home/estates
 <Files php.ini>
   order allow,deny
   deny from all
 </Files>
</IfModule>

## File Security
<FilesMatch ".(htaccess)$">
 Order Allow,Deny
 Deny from all
</FilesMatch>

#### Apache directory listing rules ####
DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm index.html
IndexIgnore *

#### Rewrite rules for SEO functionality ####

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
RewriteRule ^(.*).html?$ index.php?seo_path=$1 [L,QSA]
</IfModule>

Again, 404's are, to me, an indication the ReWrite statements are not getting processed. I would contact your hosting provider to see if the mod_rewrite module is enabled for the web server on the machine that is processing your domain's requests.

Find the license file in your site's folders. Rename it. In the file /includes/global.inc.php, isn't there a variable that holds the license number? If so, comment that statement (put // in front). The store should switch to 'lite' mode. And lite mode will be a problem if you have too many products, sales, and/or administrators.

I'm not sure where the 404 issue was coming from, but it resolved itself once the DNS transfer was completed. And CC does recognize the Addon Domain, so I didn't have to request a change in the license key domain.

The original CC licenses were paid by me but ordered under my developer's account, so he's now transferred ownership of the licenses to me. Only one question remains concerning these transfers - do I leave the licenses LOCKED or UNLOCKED?