Confirmation emails not being sent to site owner

Caly Aly

Hello,

Recently my clients website was migrated from one server to another in the same hosting company.

There was all sorts of teething problems after migration took place but I managed to solve all of them except one.

The automatic confirmation emails that were being sent out from the site on processing an order and then again when the payment has been pushed through SagePay are not being sent from the site. I asked the engineers at the host company to look into this for me, their response was:

"As per checked there are no MX and mail records set for hopscotchshop.co.uk. Please check below link for confirmation. You can check the same from http://intodns.com/hopscotchshop.co.uk

http://screencast.com/t/RlEm5W4to66

Please make sure MX records are added under ns.123-reg.co.uk and ns2.123-reg.co.uk DNS server."

I went to 123-reg where the domain is hosted and saw that there was no email account set up for the domain so I added the info@ address but this does not seem to have worked. What else do I need to do?

Please be aware that the customers who purchase on the site are getting their confirmation emails from SagePay, just not from the site.

Thanks for any help on this.

In admin, Store Settings, Advanced tab, please let us know what the settings are for the Email group.

If you have set the method to SMTP, does the Outgoing SMTP Host server you specify exist?

Wikipedia says, "A mail exchanger record (MX record) is a type of resource record in the Domain Name System that specifies a mail server responsible for accepting email messages on behalf of a recipient's domain." That is, what's the server's address responsible for receiving emails sent to you?

"I went to 123-reg where the domain is hosted and saw that there was no email account set up for the domain so I added the info@ address but this does not seem to have worked. What else do I need to do?"

But did you create an MX record in the "Manage Your Domain Record" section? If so, an advisory should have popped up saying that changes to DNS records require 24 hours to propagate. (My experience is more like 6 to 12 hours.)

So, it's possible you are not receiving emails sent to any hopscotchshop.co.uk email address, because the Internet does not know the server who has the responsibility to receive and hold emails sent there. Which makes sense if that's what is specified in the admin settings screen.

Try having CubeCart send emails "using" a known good email address, just to test.