Products missing from categories & images removed

lynnmcdee

I have recently upgrade from v5.1 to v5.2.5 and all of the categories and images have been removed from the products.  I have tried to reassign the categories and images again but when I get about 80% of the products updated and saved the images and categories are removed again.  

Has anyone else had this problem and any ideas on how to fix this.

That is not familiar to me. Please submit a trouble ticket to CubeCart.com.

For the upgrade, can you positively state that the database schema was also upgraded? If it wasn't, then just after you log into the admin section, you should see a red banner saying your code is CC525, but the database is a version prior to that. If you don't see that banner, then the database was updated (and that's good), or the code may not be CC525 (unlikely).

Unfortunately, CubeCart processes admin actions in two phases: form data processing, then page construction.

The form data is received (category name, image, etc), checked for accuracy, error messages created if any, and the data is databased if possible. Then CubeCart tells your browser to re-request that admin page.

CubeCart queries the database for the data appropriate to display the requested page, sends it to the skin template, and finally the web page is sent to your browser.

So, again unfortunately, after CubeCart tells your browser to re-request the page, CubeCart "goes to sleep" (no more PHP scripts to execute), and all the diagnostic data that was collected during the processing of the form data is lost. And it is in that collection of diagnostic data that we could see where and why there seems to be a problem with categories and images losing their associations with products.

If your hosting environment is such that you have complete access and control over the server hosting your CubeCart installation, you could activate the database server logging function. If so, we might see something in the logs.

Here is something to try: in admin, Maintenance, Database tab, check the boxes for the CubeCart_category_index and CubeCart_image_index tables. Then at the bottom, select from the drop-down the choice to Repair. Click Submit. Nothing bad will happen, but if the cause of this problem is a recalcitrant table(s), this will fix it.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply.  

I have submitted a ticket and they have said they have thousands of merchants and if this was an issue they would be inundated with support tickets and I will have to talk to my developer.  Unfortunately my developer is not responding to my emails.  

No, there is no red banner when I log in now.  Yes, I have complete access and control over the server hosting.

As you suggested I have just completed the maintenance repair and fingers crossed this works.  

"Yes, I have complete access and control over the server hosting."

Excellent. Then for the next few hours, while you are doing admin work, have your database server configured to log all query requests. (The database server will probably need a restart.) We will then examine if and when an UPDATE or DELETE query is issued that wipes out all records in the category_index and image_index tables.

Oh, but you said you have a developer. Is your developer responsible for the administration of the server?

I was assuming that having complete access and control over your server, you would know how to do this. What of your developer?

There will be some sort of Database Manager (not necessarily phpMyAdmin, but since I am not familiar with phpMyAdmin, it may be able to do this), and the manager is capable of assigning users and user permissions, add database schemas, stop and start the database server, and make adjustments to the settings file that controls how the database is to perform.

I use the MySQL Workbench on the server. (There may be other server admin utilities.) Open a management connection to your database server, and find your way to editing the Options file. View the Logging tab, and enter a path and name for the 'log' file. (Don't worry about the 'log-error' file as I have never seen any bad queries logged here.) Apply the changes, then stop and restart the server service.