Delayed PayPal payment doesn't update order status.

PeteW1959

I am using the PayPal plugin.

If a customer chooses to pay by PayPal, follows the links to the PayPal site and doesn't complete the transaction the order is flagged as Awaiting Payment, as it should do.

If they then complete the transaction after some time, PayPal generates a successful transaction but the order status doesn't get updated to Processing. As I have my store set to cancel orders that are left as 'Awaiting Payment' after 2 hours, I now have cancelled orders on the system that have been paid through PayPal.

I am not sure of the exact steps the customer takes for this to happen, but I know it has happened on more than one occassion.

CubeCart will store all orders that have had payment attempts so you can chase the customer if they abandoned their cart. PayPal is by far the most popular module and it has have a significant amount of testing. The order status should update to processing automatically. Does it ever do this?

For the status to update CubeCart is dependant on a remote server call from PayPal. The servers firewall must be able to accept these:

https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/howto_api_golivechecklist

If the customer goes straight to payment and successfully pays then the order does get updated.

It seems to go wrong if the the customer has a problem at the first attempt, somehow closes the Cubecart session and then goes on to make a successful payment.

It is quite difficult to work out exactly what the customers are doing, as I haven't found anyone who can accurately describe exactly what steps they took. However it is far more common than I would expect for it to be 'user error'; there are an awful lot of people making exactly the same mistakes if that is the case.

We haven't had this behaviour reported before. I'm not sure this is a totally ethical or appropriate question but what kind of demographics do your customers have? Are they predominantly an older or less web savvy user base?

If we can see where the user journey is going wrong it would help greatly. 

Due to what we sell - almost all of our customers are NOT web savvy. We always contact Pending order customers, and we usually have to invoice them via PayPal to get the order and manually change the order to Processing. (None of them have yet successfully used their Order History to finish payment on their own.)

Sometimes they can't even get it to Pending, and they contact us for help ordering. (I added a "Contact Us if you have trouble ordering" link right on the Checkout page.)

I can't offer any help as to why this happens almost daily, because they rarely ever seem able to offer explanations of what they were doing or what browser version, etc, they have. I've quit asking, as it's a waste of time.

I have a wide demograph, from IT professionals to those who seem to struggle with basic English! Many manage to create several customer accounts, each with 4 or or 5 failed orders.

I have tried to get customers to go through the steps whilst talking to them over the phone, but I still can't quite nail what is going wrong. I have tried every sort of idiotic action I can think of to make it go wrong but never have!

Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this Dirty Butter.