New categories not appearing in list :(

Nik Grey

So, I need to add a new Category to my store - simple ? no, not for me.

This is probably something to do with changes I have had to make as a result of this poor 'Lettering Tool' Disaster.

I need to add a category 'Motorcycle Decals' and within this category I need to list the various Motorcycle manufacturers:

Honda.

Kawasaki etc

Created the 'Motorcycle Decals' category no problems but when it comes to adding a sub category I cannot see 'Motorcycle Decals' in the drop down list of available sections to put my new manufacturer into.

I tried another test category and still the same - no new categories are showing in this drop down list :(

missing-categories.png

If I had any hair left it would have all been pulled out by now :( It must be something simple again.

I do not recall 100%, but please try having CubeCart's cache system disabled (Store Settings, Advanced tab).

If it is already disabled, then we can look elsewhere.

What I do not recall is whether there is a bug in that CubeCart does not clear the cached Category list when adding a new category. Again, a vague recollection.

It was Enabled - Disabled it. Cleared the cache but still no new Categories appearing :(

The thing is, everything was working properly the last time I added a new category !

.. Just tried this in my 'Test Store' and it is working as expected.

Using phpMyAdmin, check the contents of the CubeCart_category table of the database your "not working" store uses.

Do the new categories show up as records in there?

And when you try to add a new category, please verify that you get the green banner, "Category Added".

We did, so that the 'lettering products' would be hidden.

The 'lettering' products are the only thing I would want hidden - so if we set the default back to 0 would that solve the problem ? and keep the Lettering Products hidden ?

.. actually, no it wouldnt as the new Lettering Products would keep appearing as they were created by a customer.

I dont mind setting the visibility in the database as I add new categories if thats what it will take ?

Ok, but let me be clear (I haven't reviewed that conversation yet).

We don't want to set the structure of the CubeCart_category table's 'hide' column to default as '1'.

We want to find the "Lettering" record in the Cubecart_category table, then set the value in the 'hide' column for that one and only one record, to '1'.

I need to review the previous conversation.

We only need to hide the current "Lettering" category. We do not want to hide (by default or by any other means) any new legitimate category.

Set 'hide' in the table structure to 0 as the default.

Do not go back and set 'hide' for each of the new Categories to 1 - nor for any category, except for "Lettering".