Turn off php 'Safe Mode' ?

Nik Grey

Hi Folks,

I need help with A2 Hosting, a site I look after which uses Virtumart 1.1.9 has stopped adding things to the cart (I think this is since I moved to these new servers) and I am trying to fix it. It takes ages to get a response from the a2 Guru's so I am asking here.

Who knows how to turn off 'Safe Mode' in the A2 Hosting backend?

It's not a cubecart site I am having problems with so I shouldnt really be asking here but I did use the forums link to buy my new hosting.

I have an extra 9 people staying at my house this week - 5 of them are small children so I have my hands full.. this problem is the last thing I needed - everyone else is outside in the garden in the Sun :(

Hi Nik

While this is a CubeCart forum and as you are say it is a Virtumart site and so shouldnt be asking the question on here - this has nothing at all to do with what application is being run.

Interesting that A2 Hosting support takes so long to answer - they dont seem to be able to answer a very straight forward hosting related question very quickly or at all yet ! Guess you do get what you pay for with hosting !

As far as your question is concerned you may or may not be able to turn it off yourself (I cant believe that any hosting company runs with Safe Mode switched on these days but sounds like that might be the case here !!).

If you are allowed to have local php.ini files in your hosting then you need to find the php.ini file, edit it and change

safe_mode = on

to

safe_mode = off

Many hosting companies disallow the use of local php.ini files for security purposes (we do due to a number of serious risks) and if this is the case then only someone with root access to the server can change this - so back to waiting for A2 hosting !

Thanks

Ian