Upgrading help

debbyds

Hi,

My shop is running cc v: 4.4.3. I had this built for me a good few years ago and now feel that I should be upgrading, however I know I have modifications etc which from reading, I believe I will lose so am loathe to do this myself as I don't know what the site will be like after the upgrade or what I'll need to do to rectify it, I don't want to start something I'll regret!

Could anyone point me in the direction of someone experienced who offers a one off upgrade service for a fee?

Thanks for reading,

Debby

Hi Debby

There are a few that will do a standard upgrade - Al @ CubeCart will do it as will we.  However, this, as you have said, will lose all modifications that you have had done and will also lose your skin (V4 skins are not compatible with V5 or V6).

Your best bet would be to do as we recommend, take a copy of your database and the few files that are required (essentially images) into a sub-directory (/V6 for example) and then do an upgrade on that.  You can then evaluate V6 using your data and see whether the new functionality added replaces some / all of what you had done, whether you can do without it or whether you need to look for third party plugins (my recommendation is do not ever buy a "mod" that makes core file changes - only go for true plugins) or even have a few custom plugins written for you

Ian