Upgrade from 4 to 6 without the Image Folder

Will the upgrade process run as normal from V4 to V6.0.6 if the image folder exists but is empty? I would assume it would run fine, just no images would link to products or will I end up with a database full of dead product image link data?

My reason for asking, we have a huge image folder and on a test run of an upgrade we timed-out (to be expected) thanks to the image folder. Also we use two different sized images on our current site, not a requirement for V6 so we are thinking of manually adding product images after the upgrade to spring clean our image folders.

Or does anyone know how much or how to calculate how much server memory is needed to upgrade successfully with a large store with a huge image folder?

Hi

It should make no difference although have never tried it myself - I think you are correct in that you will simply end up with broken image links so you might need to clear up several tables manually - best thing is to try it in test environment and then see !

There will be no way to calculate server resources required to perform upgrades as each server is different - as we own and run a large number of our own servers, we simply change the settings  temporarily in order to complete the upgrade and then set them back -, enables us to upgrade any sized store !

Ian

There will be no way to calculate server resources required to perform upgrades as each server is different - as we own and run a large number of our own servers, we simply change the settings  temporarily in order to complete the upgrade and then set them back -, enables us to upgrade any sized store !

Ian

Thanks for the info Ian. Our host is usually very helpful so it had crossed my mind to ask for a temporary increase in resources to accommodate the upgrade. I think I will drop them a line.