Multi Download Links

avyona

It would be nice to be able to provide multiple download links for one product. I sell zip files or digital downloads. I think this would be an invaluable plugin to reduce server strain because it could dish out one portion of the download instead of one giant file. The customer could select which version to download. Doing it as product options isnt as productive because if the customer changed platforms they would have to repurchase it just to download the new format they need.

There used to be a mod for one of the CC versions that did this. I cant remember who put it out. Anyway I thought this would be a helpful means of putting less stress on the server.

There used to be a mod for one of the CC versions that did this. I cant remember who put it out. Anyway I thought this would be a helpful means of putting less stress on the server.

There is a mod (I think for V3 and V4) that allowed download files to be associated with product options which you did say wouldnt be as good but we have this working on a couple of client sites and it works well.  There isnt a version for V5 / V6 so it might be something we would look to write

Ian 

Like this one?

http://www.cubecartforums.org/index.php?showtopic=14341

Or are you suggesting this for CC6?

Are you the author of this one? hehe I love this mod!!  I discovered it years after my store went live so I couldnt implement it because it only works on newly created products I believe. I always wanted to use it though. What a great mod and I would ADORE seeing it on cc6!!! So to answer your questions yes I am suggesting it for cc6 ;)

There is a mod (I think for V3 and V4) that allowed download files to be associated with product options which you did say wouldnt be as good but we have this working on a couple of client sites and it works well.  There isnt a version for V5 / V6 so it might be something we would look to write

Ian 

I remember this mod as well, it is a good one and works well. Our business sells software for embroidery machines. So what happens is the customer is using Singer, for instance, and they switch to Brother sewing machines, then they would have to purchase it again. I get compliments for offering all the sewing machine formats in my downloads. I wouldnt want to change that on them. BUT making those files smaller and in portions would allow them to access any format for any product should the need arise to get another file format due to switching machines.

I KNOW I did this for a store owner on CC5. I'll just have to find it.

This store owner wanted to have two or more files for an MP3/MP4 combo. A soundtrack and a video pair.

On the other hand, I built a "Bundle Products" mod. It works for digital products as well. But each 'version' of the product will need to be a distinct product.

Edited by bsmither

I was saying each of the 12 formats would need to be a distinct product. Totally impractical for your situation.

I found the mod. It was crowbar'd in to that store's code.

Let me get it tested for CC6 and I'll get back to you.