Send order details to PayPal

PeteW1959

I am using PayPal Payments Standard, and the bean counters would like to see the details of what the customer has ordered in the PayPal transaction. It is getting quite laborious manually cross referencing the PayPal transactions with CubeCart orders, and we need this to provide a robust audit trail.

I found a thread on the forum suggesting that there is a function repeatVariables() in modules/gateway/PayPal/gateway.class.php that has been commented out, but uncommenting this doesn't appear to make any difference.

I know that older versions of CC did this (I am on CC6), and other eCommerce solutions do as well so PayPal must accept this data as part of the IPN process.

• 3 months later...

We want to get the line order's item details to PayPal to appear and print on the packing list -

Q: Would not the line "return false:" (line 44) have to be deleted or be commented (blocked) out as well?
We need this info passed on to PayPal -  going to opt in the /* to  */  (lines 29-42) and opt out the "return false:" -  we'll see if PayPal receives it and how it deals with it  ;)

In the /modules/gateway/PayPal/ file gateway.class.php:

The return false; statement, technically, would not have to be commented out. Program execution would never reach it as the previous return $hidden; would exit the function right then and there.

Uncommenting the repeatVariables() will load the web form with all that data and send it to PayPal.

The question is: does PayPal have the settings to use that data. One would have to investigate what PayPal does with the data sent by the customer. Can there be a custom page that PayPal would display to the customer to collect payment info, where said customization would list the 'quantity_#', 'item_name_#', 'amount_#', etc?

Then also a custom email sent by PayPal to the customer?

Then also how PayPal records this info for later auditing by the PayPal Merchant Account holder?

13 minutes ago, bsmither said:

In the /modules/gateway/PayPal/ file gateway.class.php:

The return false; statement, technically, would not have to be commented out. Program execution would never reach it as the previous return $hidden; would exit the function right then and there.

Uncommenting the repeatVariables() will load the web form with all that data and send it to PayPal.

The question is: does PayPal have the settings to use that data. One would have to investigate what PayPal does with the data sent by the customer. Can there be a custom page that PayPal would display to the customer to collect payment info, where said customization would list the 'quantity_#', 'item_name_#', 'amount_#', etc?

Then also a custom email sent by PayPal to the customer?

Then also how PayPal records this info for later auditing by the PayPal Merchant Account holder?

Cool PHP info - thanks B!
"Does PayPal have the settings to use that data"? - Exactly - I let you know what we know as soon as we get a 'complete' PP CC order.

41 minutes ago, Dirty Butter said:

Have you tried PayPal Express? I don't use it, and I can't help with it. But it DOES show more info on the PayPal screen about the order than Standard does.

We're looking at just that DB - Right now just want to get the item details on the packing slip in PP - we use packing slips to fulfill, quality check and complete each order. We're a very small business, but do well, like to keep admin'ing as simple as possible) ;)

Assuming you have a PayPal Merchant Account (of some sort), I would think there would be available to you (from a link in your PayPal Merchant's Control Panel?) a User's Guide (ok, maybe a Web Developer's Guide to the API) that would instruct you how to construct your custom page (with your logo, etc) that your customers would see when making payment at PayPal.

2 hours ago, bsmither said:

Assuming you have a PayPal Merchant Account (of some sort), I would think there would be available to you (from a link in your PayPal Merchant's Control Panel?) a User's Guide (ok, maybe a Web Developer's Guide to the API) that would instruct you how to construct your custom page (with your logo, etc) that your customers would see when making payment at PayPal.

My business account is my "merchant account", runs payments as PP funds and major credit cards, and from past experience (bounce fees) we do not accept checks of any kind - PP has been spectacular for us over 10 years + personally been with them since they first came to be ;)

There is API info, mostly for Express and Pro - which I have no real need for - just keeping it simple and CC system has been a great aid in doing so - + I know enough code whacking to be dangerous :nerves:  But I might browse the info to see if there's anything helpful, but I have to wash my hair :afro1: