image linked to drop down menu

Minty

Hi guys,

I have just started testing cubecart and I have to say I love it so far. However I do have one question. I have a drop down menu for the colour of my item and wondered if I could link this to an image of the corresponding colour chosen?

For instance, I have 5 colour options for a t shirt. If I select a colour which isn't the default image I would like the preview image to change to the selected colour.

Also, I have added the option to print the product on the invoice, could this also be selected to print the actual item colour being bought as opposed to the default image?

I hope this makes sense, thank you in advance for your help. Oh and if it helps its the standard out of the box set up and skin except the slightly modded code for the invoice/image option.

Cheers

Minty

Welcome Minty! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

There is this:
Product Option Images for CubeCart V6 / V5
at: https://www.havenswift-hosting.co.uk/clients/cart.php?gid=19

There is supposed to be a demo store where you can see this, but I can't find a link to it on their site.

Regarding getting the appropriate image to be printed on the invoice, maybe the mod mentioned above does that but I am not sure. Otherwise, yes, code can be added to associate an option combination to an image. The database already has that column, but there is no code to implement it as yet.

Thanks bsmither. Appreciate the welcome and your quick reply.

It does look like the mod you posted could well be exactly what I am looking for. I have bookmarked it and if the store is still running 6 months after its launch I may well be looking at paid applications to add and improve the functionality of the store. Right now its too soon to be doing that, the current product and invoice set up (using the default image) is fine for my needs at present. If it was a simple code mod then I would have done it just because.

However, I think this will niggle away at me and it will be something I have to add :D

Thanks again for your input.

I saw an interesting solution similar to this. Even if you are lousy at javascript, this solution would be do-able.

Create a product image that had a gradient of transparency. Assuming the GD library in PHP can render the sizes needed without losing that transparency, then, depending on the color chosen, apply that color as a background to the image. The background color shows through the transparency of the image, giving a pseudo-colorized rendition of the product.

Of course, this only gives broad color choices, not as versatile as the plugin mentioned earlier.

1 hour ago, bsmither said:

I saw an interesting solution similar to this. Even if you are lousy at javascript, this solution would be do-able.

Create a product image that had a gradient of transparency. Assuming the GD library in PHP can render the sizes needed without losing that transparency, then, depending on the color chosen, apply that color as a background to the image. The background color shows through the transparency of the image, giving a pseudo-colorized rendition of the product.

Of course, this only gives broad color choices, not as versatile as the plugin mentioned earlier.

That is a very interesting solution and I can see how that would work. Sadly I am not great with code, I am self taught and learned everything I know by ripping code apart to see what it does on a primary level. I am completely lost when the code requires multiple actions. Not really had that much to do with JS so can't comment on how difficult this would be. New to cubecart too and not had a chance to really see how it all goes together yet development wise.

Thanks again.

17 hours ago, bsmither said:

There is this:
Product Option Images for CubeCart V6 / V5
at: https://www.havenswift-hosting.co.uk/clients/cart.php?gid=19

There is supposed to be a demo store where you can see this, but I can't find a link to it on their site.

Regarding getting the appropriate image to be printed on the invoice, maybe the mod mentioned above does that but I am not sure.

Demos of all our skins and most of our plugins can be seen at

https://www.cubecart-demo.co.uk

The plugin doesnt specifically print the selected option image on the invoice but can't see that this would be difficult to do at all even with the standard invoice but would be even easier if using our Enhanced Admin Order Entry plugin which allows you to completely define what fields and in what layout the invoice is printed by adjusting a template

Ian