Seling same audio physically AND digitally

Will Shaman

I haven't been able to find very much at all on this after very extensive web searches. The closest I found was a topic in this forum started by rgcuby, back in 2008, but it ended with someone saying they'd found a mod, without giving any kind of link to it. I can't be the only person who's interested in this, so I'm very surprised there's so little discussion (though forgive me if I'm missing anything obvious as I'm new to Cubecart 6).

I'm building a site at www.theolyn.com/cube/ that will sell (amongst other things) CDs and digital audio downloads of the same titles. Ideally, what I'd like is to show my product in the catalogue as per normal, but allow the customer to select either a physical CD or a downloadable version. Prices for each are not the same — digital is cheaper than physical — and, importantly, when checking out the cart knows that the physical version needs a mailing address and the usual shipping calculation and stock decrement, while the digital version needs to be handled without shipping or stock decrement.

Does anyone know if CC6 is capable of handling products in this way? It must be a common requirement but, as I say, I've looked around a lot and can't find anything that addresses this. My alternative would be to create the physical and digital versions as separate products, but that would be a rather clunky workaround.

Looking forward to some insights from anyone out there with more experience than me!

Thanks in advance.

Will

I built a plugin that can associate a second item with a first item.

An example of its use is in selling an academic journal. The customer can purchase a hardcopy of the journal which comes bundled with the PDF version. Or the customer can purchase the PDF version at its own price.

For several reasons, it is not in the MarketPlace. You can get it at the CubeCart third-party site here.

I have tested it on CC6 and have not found any problems. But, you and I should work offline to get it patched into your store. If interested, send me a PM with your email address.